Chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luv2craftginny

Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Kind of ruined the first roast we put in there, but know the next time will be better.

We have made Salmon now several times, it is great, just love it, came from the book recommended on this site.

Now the Chickens, in that same book it shows a beer can inside a bird, we made it that way, and it was super.

We had put the thermometer inside of the breast, well the leg thigh was not quite done, so cut it up, ,put it to finish in the oven, and ate the breast, this is the most moist breast I have ever eaten, we did only one bird that day, today we have two in, what a wonderful way to smoke the chickens.

oh we figure we will still put the thermometer in side of the breast and finish the rest in the oven, as if we cook the thigh up to the degrees that are recommended we figure that might dry the breasts too much.

Ginny

Hello Ginny.  Sounds like a good plan.  I sometimes marinate my chicken and others often brine.  I usually spatchcock that yard bird.  Usually helps to even out the cooking times.  You are doing the proper thing, reading and experimenting.  Find what you like and stick with it.  Keep a smoking log and write down everything you can think of.  Helps you tweak the next time or recreate the first one. Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Ok what is Spatchcock that yard bird?????   They sure are good.   I made my own rub sand put on the bird, don't eat the skin anyways.  I did not brine it or marinate it at all, I brine the Salmon however.

Ginny

Spatchcocking or spattlecock is cutting the backbone out. Very simple to do. just run a knife down each side of the back bone, done. Some will also remove the sternum, I typically do not.

Flip the bird over and press down between the breasts to flatten out.

One of the advantages is that the bird being splayed out will cook evenly. There fore the breast and thighs will be done pretty close to the same time.

As always Case, its a good lookin chicken!

Howdee L2CG, just a suggestion. The easiest and best chicken is cooked with the skin on, THEN remove it before serving or eating. The skin is a natural barrier to hold the juices in, after the bird is cooked when you remove it you'll be amazed at the juices.

If you can't leave the skin on for some reason, Mayno works excellent as a sealer, not as good as a skin, but close.

Last edited:
I had thought the beer can did such a good job of keeping it so moist, is the breast still moist doing it this way, and thank you so much for our pictures, sure tells the story, copied it over to work and printed out.

Ginny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky