Chicken thighs for pulling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pacedawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Orlando, FL area
I saw other posts on here looking for help with pulled chicken. My wife wanted me to try some chicken and see how it came out. I did a bunch of research trying to find out as much as possible so I didn't dry out the chicken or under cook it. Here's how I smoked it:

Brined 10 thighs in a mixture of of 1/4 gallon of water, 1/4 cup of salt, 1/4 cup dark sugar & three tablespoons of red hot. I let that soak about 3 hours. Once the smoker was ready, I pulled out the chicken and rinsed them under tap water. I injected them with a cup of melted butter mixed with 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 3/4 ts of onion powder, 3/4 ts of cajun spices and 1/4 ts white pepper sauce. Finally, I used Jeff's rub to cover the thighs. 

I threw them in the smoker around 280-300 degrees and smoked for just under 2 hours. The temps fluctuated during the time but for the most part, it was right around 280. I left the skin and bones on/ in the thighs and placed them on the grates skin down. I pulled them off at 169 degrees internal temp. I let them sit for ten minutes and them took the skins off and started to pull the chicken off the bones and shred the meat up. They were extremely moist and flavor was excellent. We decided to keep a little chicken on the side with out sauce and then used Sticky Fingers Sweet Carolina sauce to saturate the chicken. 

Q-View to follow

I got buried under it while at the Eagles game yesterday, but it was well worth it! They're calling for up to 6 more inches tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky