Chicken stock in quart jars .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I'm going to freeze some in ice cube trays , but was wondering if I could use quart jars , vac and fridge . How long do you think it would last . Like to have some ready to us e.
Thanks ,

If you freeze in ice cube trays, and then take those chicken stock frozen cubes and vacuum pack them in a Foodsaver (or other) bag, and keep them in the freezer, they should last a couple of years, if you have a decent freezer. I regularly use vacuum-packed food 18-24 months after I have frozen it.

We freeze chicken stock in Ball jars all the time. We let the stock cool somewhat and pour into the jars leaving some headroom. (A canning funnel is marked to show the headroom level.) Then cap loosely and freeze. When frozen tighten the lid. We have kept it well over a year with no ill effects.

Thanks fellas . I understand that part . I was wanting to keep some in the fridge , and was wondering how long it would last under vacuum . Use for injecting or whatever sounds good that day , spur of the moment stuff . Long term I'll freeze for sure .

Chopsaw

I keep my stock in the refrigerator for months. There say it can be stored for up to six months. Mine never lasts that long though. My stock is made with all the skin and fat. Put in any jar and have at least 3/4” of fat on top of the stock. This needs the air out. It will last a very long time.

If u have pressure canner u could can it. Then it would be ready at spur of the moment & be good up to 2 years (probably longer but I wouldn’t do it)

Be careful here especially with chicken you have a safety factor here. Regular canning jars are not good to freeze in you need freezer jars. Pressure cooking excellent idea for safety.

Warren

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm using the vacuum sealer attachment for quart jars . I put 2 sealed jars in the fridge , and 1 quart freezing in the large cube ice tray . Thanks for the replies and info . All good advice .

johnmeyer

There sell mason jars specifically for freezing. Just don’t over fill them.

Fat as an air seal - that shows up in old Ohio history when pottery crocks were commonly used. In cold conditions the fat forms a hard top layer.

The one reason I'd still recommend vacuum sealing, either in a jar or good vacuum bag (NOT a Ziploc) is that other storage containers often permit a fair amount of oxygen migration through the food's surface. The wax coating on a Dixie cup might not provide enough of a a barrier. Also, I don't think that the frozen fat on the top is going to stop oxygen from working its way down into the frozen cube.

In my experience (which isn't necessarily all that great) "freezer burn" is almost impossible to stop except via a vacuum system.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky