Chicken Souvlaki and other Mediterranean goodies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Was craving Greek and Middle Eastern flavors this week. Finally got around to doing the meal I dreamed up through the week.

Menu:
  • Appetizer
    • Lamb Kofta meatballs with peppers, feta and tzatziki
  • Main Course
    • Roasted Mediterranean Fauxtato Salad
    • Chicken Souvlaki kabobs
  • Dessert
    • Keto "Rice Pudding"

First up getting the chicken going. Whipped up a quick souvlaki marinade
  • 1 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 3/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 1/.2 TBSP minced garlic (I used pre minced in a jar)
  • 5 tbsp oregano
  • 2 1/2 tbsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tbsp pepper
  • 1 3/4 tbsp paprika
Into that goes 5 lbs. of cubed chicken breast to marinade overnight. I threw a couple sliced up lemons in with it.

marinating.jpg

Next up I made the lamb kofta.

• 1/4 cup each pine nuts, almonds, and walnuts (total 3/4 cup)
  • 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, roughly chopped (see note)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, gently packed (okay to substitute parsley)
  • 2 pounds ground lamb
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
kafka ingredients.jpg

Mince the nuts finely in a food processor then toast in a pan until they are fragrant. Put all the veggies in the food processor and mince finely as well. Remove and squeeze out as much juice as you can in a strainer or cheesecloth. Mix all ingredients together really well. I refrigerated over night and formed meatballs today.
kafka raw.jpg

Next up was some keto rice pudding for dessert. I wanted to get it done a day ahead and let it chill.

• 1 (14 oz) package Zeroodle Shirataki Rice with Oat Fiber
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener (I used allulose)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
First up rinse the miracle rice very well and then boil for 2 minutes. Rinse again and then dry in a pan over low heat. Put in a container and set aside. Mix the egg yolks , salt and cinnamon and set aside. Put the cream in a pan and get to a steaming temp (not boiling). Once the cream is steaming temper the egg yolk mix with a 1/4 cup of the steaming milk twice then mix all back in. Simmer for about 5 minutes, add miracle rice, simmer for about 5 more to thicken further and then set the entire pan in an ice bath to quick cool. I did this in the sink. Right after you set it in stir in the vanilla. Note I doubled the Allulose as I like the pudding a bit sweeter than this recipe yields.

pudding ingredients.jpg

Next time to make the Mediterranean Fauxtato Salad. found this recipe online. Sounded great and looked colorful. I thought it would make the perfect side and bed to serve the souvlaki on.

First I cut and quartered about 8 small bunches of radishes. Toss these with some olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Roast at 400F for an hour or so until the are nice and roasted and dried out some. About 20 minutes prior to the end toss on a couple small containers of multi color heirloom tomatoes and 8 oz. of diced pancetta. When the tomatoes are cooked toss it all in a pan with parmesan and its ready to roll. I really didn't get step by step pics of this or follow the recipe strictly as it is pretty straight forward. Here is a closeup of the the radishes headed into the oven.
radishes.jpg

Got the Vision Kamado fired up. I haven't cooked on my kamado in quite awhile so looking forward to it today. Time to thread up the kabobs and get them and the lamb kofta going. Got a nice big pan of kabobs from the 5 lbs. of chicken breast.
kabobs.jpg

Well time to eat. I am running behind and my wife is about to just have a salad so into high gear. First up is the lamb kofta served with a little roasted red pepper, feta and homemade keto tzatziki.
lamb kafka 1.jpg

lamb kafka 3.jpg

Got about half of the kabobs done while she was eating her appetizer and plated them on top of the roasted Mediterranean salad and arugula. Finished off with a little pesto and some burrata cheese. The cheese is a new one to me and its amazing. A skin like fresh mozzarella with a creamy center. Very luscious combined with all of the other flavors.
souvlaki 2.jpg

Last up was dessert. I always loved rice pudding. My grandmother made it and tapioca for me often as a kid. Rice pudding fit right into the theme of the day so I needed to that keto version. I also whipped up some sugar free whipped cream for the pudding. This stuff is awesome. The miracle rice texture honestly is close to tapioca so this is almost like a hybrid of the two.

pudding 1.jpg

Well that's it. Between the cooking and some yard work I am beat!! The flavors in this meal are astounding and all played real well together. The roasted salad is really tasty and the pancetta and parmesan in it really sets it off. The appetizer was off the hook to me since lamb kofta is one of my favorite things to get when I am in areas to order authentic Middle Eastern food and lastly the keto "rice" pudding is really tasty too.

Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• close up plated.jpg
    close up plated.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
Very nice Jeff, everything looks amazing as usual. I’ve roasted radishes before and really enjoyed them. I bet using them for a fauxtato salad would be awesome!

I like how you plated everything up with the arugula, the peppery bite from it sounds like it compliments the bright and citrusy parts of your dish really well.

Nicely done!

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff my friend....they just keep getting better and better. I'd say that if the adage is true that you eat with your eyes first, this meal was about your best. It is absolutely amazing in appearance and presentation. Simply a spectacular job across the board sir and another carousel worthy effort for sure!!

Robert

That all looks Super, Jeff!!
I never heard of or thought of cooking radishes, but I must try it sometime, because I love Radishes!! When I was a Kid, whenever I walked by my Grandfather's garden, I'd steal a Radish, wipe the dirt off on my pants, & chew on that awhile. MMMmmm.....
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

God bless you man that is just un-real good looking! I really like the lamb meatball idea with tzatziki on the side. The chicken looks so good too finished with the pesto and cheese. Just knocked that one out of the park. You are putting Gordon Ramsey to shame!

Killed it man
Nicely done!! 11 stars everything looks awesome
Very nice Jeff, everything looks amazing as usual. I’ve roasted radishes before and really enjoyed them. I bet using them for a fauxtato salad would be awesome!

I like how you plated everything up with the arugula, the peppery bite from it sounds like it compliments the bright and citrusy parts of your dish really well.

Nicely done!
OMG I’m hungry now
Great job
Jeff my friend....they just keep getting better and better. I'd say that if the adage is true that you eat with your eyes first, this meal was about your best. It is absolutely amazing in appearance and presentation. Simply a spectacular job across the board sir and another carousel worthy effort for sure!!

Robert
WOA! holy cow man! over the top! thanks for the recipes. adding to the much do list
That all looks Super, Jeff!!
I never heard of or thought of cooking radishes, but I must try it sometime, because I love Radishes!! When I was a Kid, whenever I walked by my Grandfather's garden, I'd steal a Radish, wipe the dirt off on my pants, & chew on that awhile. MMMmmm.....
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
God bless you man that is just un-real good looking! I really like the lamb meatball idea with tzatziki on the side. The chicken looks so good too finished with the pesto and cheese. Just knocked that one out of the park. You are putting Gordon Ramsey to shame!
Thanks all !! It was a pretty tasty meal. I love the lamb kofta and man I never realized how good arugula was. Love it and will appear far more often in my cooking. The Keto pudding was also a winner and honestly more like tapioca than rice. We loved it.

Thank you for sharing these amazing mediterranean recipes. I prefer mediterranean repices because it protects the body against oxidative stress and keeps inflammation at bay .

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky