Chicken Paprikash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well Jim, I also have made it the way you state it in the past. Takes a bit more time and the results are similar but not quite as good IMHO.

Regarding your query about the broth and sour cream: no its absolutely not enough, but then again, neither is 8 pieces of chicken. Sounds like you need double. Of everything. Now you could make this in two batches. But that's not really the smokingmeatsforums.com way now is it?

The only real solution is to buy yourself a second 17 inch cast iron pan and utilize both shelves in your oven!

the method you mentioned above is definitely more conducive for making larger batches. I do it in my large stock pot and then I can make as much as I possibly need. When I make it that way I like to cook the chicken way way down. More like pulled chicken by the time it's done

The three types I use are the smoked powder kind (Which you can find at any good quality European store). The other two types are paprika pastes, one hot and one regular. I'll take a pic when i get home.

I've seen horrible recipes that use water instead of chicken stock, and canned crushed tomatoes to get that nice deep red colour. I've seen recipes with "1 Onion".... ONE onion?! And i've also seen a recipe that used "Cubed up chicken breast".
No, just no to all of that!
Actually the authentic recipe uses water not stock. Little liquid.....the reason why the sauce tastes so good. Made from whole chicken cut up (breast saved for other dishes) and braised for a while to exract all those great flavours.
Cream is integral part, added before finishing, not a condiment served on the table. A blob of cold cream added in the plate would not provide the same texture and blended flavours. Without cream you have another dish: tokany (four basic "stews" in hungarian cuisine: gulyash, tokany, poprikash and porkolt). Sauce thickens with little flour 1-2 tbsp /chicken since there is not a lot of liquid (wife starts with two cups for one chicken).
The sauce is the centerpiece of this dish. Meat is secondary.

The only real solution is to buy yourself a second 17 inch cast iron pan and utilize both shelves in your oven!

LOL, That was a Christmas present 2 years ago. I was tired of cooking so many dishes in two pans. We usually get the Family Pack of Thighs, 12-14 pieces depending on the size. If your proportions, doubled, don't fit in my 17, I'll figure out how to make it work. Possibly whisking in some additional Paprika flavored Roux thickened Stock, before the Sour Cream.
I can see how the browned Chicken will be much tastier, with a deeper flavor, than my Stewed version, though it is really good.
I have made Spaetzl with Paprikash for company or when I am organized and plan the production time well. Unfortunately many dinners are not that organized and I'm rushing to get things done before 8 or 9PM.

Got to agree with Atomicsmoke, the Magics in the Sauce.

Reactions: fivetricks
You misunderstand me chef. I didn't say buy a 2nd cast iron skillet, 17 inches. I said buy a SECOND 17 inch cast iron skillet! :-D

My Grandmother used a pot with the lid on top of the stove on low heat and would shake the pot once in a while she also used green bell pepper and campbell tomato soup ( which I know she didn't have in the old country) sour cream added at the end served with drop dumplings. I've tried many ways but like this best
Everyone in our family also has a copy of the SOKOL cook book.

My Grandmother used a pot with the lid on top of the stove on low heat and would shake the pot once in a while she also used green bell pepper and campbell tomato soup ( which I know she didn't have in the old country) sour cream added at the end served with drop dumplings. I've tried many ways but like this best
Everyone in our family also has a copy of the SOKOL cook book.

A lot of the Old Folks adapted classic recipes with American ingredients. My older Aunt's talked about Grandma making Stuffed Cabbage with long cook Rice and Garden Fresh Tomatoes. After WWII, they were made with Minute Rice and Campbell's Tomato Soup. I've gone back to the Old Way, much better! Grandma, living through the Depression, wasted nothing! She would wrap and save a couple tablespoons of peas or mashed potatoes. At some later date, making a particular recipe and remembering the leftover, this or that, would just Throw it in to use it. Those old Peas would show up in Spaghetti and Meatballs! Mashed Potatoes thrown in a Cake Mix! We never knew where something, leftover, would show up but it was ALWAYS good...JJ

Reactions: paul nj shore
Poukie put it over the top for me with spaetzle, so this may have to make the rotation this weekend.

If a kidnapper tried to lure me with a plate of spaetzle crisped up in butter, the result would be my face on milk cartons all over town.

Something a bit different for a Sunday.. this is a random dish I made a long time ago and for whatever reason has become my daughter's favorite dish for me to make for her.

Since I'm the weekend chef off we went.

Firs things first. Grab your favoritist (and largest) cast iron. Toss enough oil in to coat and heat it up pretty hot. Call it med-high if you like.

As your pan is heating up, set your oven to 400° so it can also preheat.

Heavily salt and pepper your desired amt of chicken parts. In my case it was 5 or so lbs of chicken thighs.

You could use legs, or quarters or boneless if you like. I would not recommend breasts though.

Give them about 6-8 mins on both sides, don't be afraid if they're a bit dark. You could probably even run a little longer if you like.

View attachment 406647

When those are done, remove them from the pan and set aside, perhaps onto a red serving tray :-P

Pour off most of the oil/fat into a coffee mug. You'll probably end up using some or all of it later.

Cut up a mess of onions. Yellow work best. Like a good lb or two of onions, more is bettah. Toss them into the cast iron and give them a good ride, 8-10 mins. I also add mushrooms, please don't tell the folks in Hungary it's just the way I like it!

View attachment 406648

Toss in a few cloves of chopped up garlic in the last few mins and when everything is all soft and good, remove from heat and add in 6tb of AP flour and a 1/2 cup of good paprika. That's something hard to find around me, but it's very important that you use good paprika for this.

This is the type I buy because it's the best available in my area.

View attachment 406649

Now, I always by a fresh tin when I make this recipe. I will use the rest of this in various other things to use the remaining paprika up, but I always open a fresh tin so that it is as fresh as possible when I make this because it is the star of the dish.

Upon adding the flower the paprika stir very very well with the onions and whatever else you've thrown into your pan. what you're looking for here is sort of a mush kind of paste. if you find that it is too dry to make a mush or a paste slowly add bits of the remaining oil back in that you poured into the coffee mug. Put this back on a lower heat for 5 or 6 minutes so that you can toast the paprika a bit and knock down some of the flour flavor.

Next step is to add about 2 cups of chicken broth. I may add another quarter or half cup depending on how I feel about it. Just don't add any more than that otherwise your sauce will be a bit on the thin side. whisk well to incorporate all ingredients into a smooth sauce in the pan.

After that, we are going to put the chicken that we cooked back into the pan. I like to give the skin side a quick dip before resting the chicken meat side down in the sauce because I like the texture that you wind up with in the end. Here is our dipped and nestled chicken in the cast iron pan headed into the oven.

View attachment 406650

Throw them into your 400° preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. Depending on how done you like your chicken. I like to let it go a little bit farther so that it's easier to pull off the bones when you are eating.

Go ahead and grab a pan to boil 1 lb of extra wide egg noodles. You can use a good bit of salt and oil in your water to boil these.

View attachment 406651

Boil these as you normally would. When they are done strain through a colander and add them back into the pan that you boil them in. Mix a whole mess of butter up with the now cooked noodles and re-cover and set aside. Think buttered noodles here.

after 30 or 40 minutes in your oven go ahead and yank those chickens out of there. Now they're looking like something good...

View attachment 406652

Go ahead and remove the pieces of chicken from the pan again and set aside on the tray that you previously used unless you want to go ahead and dirty more dishes. That's up to you I suppose.

take 1 and 1/2 cups of sour cream and whisk it into your pan sauce making sure to take your spatula and get all the good bits off the sides and bottom. The resulting sauce will look like this.

View attachment 406653

I simply serve this dish with a bed of noodles however much sauce ladled on top of the noodles that you prefer and a piece or two of chicken served on top.

View attachment 406654

That's all folks :-)

This is really a quite simple one-pan dish to make and if you've never had it before I would highly recommend it. Because it's going to have a totally different taste than your other chicken dinner meals. Quite inexpensive and quick. What more can you ask!

Have a good day

This looks sooo good, really want to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.
Like!

Exelent write up! I too make chicken paprika dish. Like others I usually made it on top of stove but will definitely do the oven trick next time. One thing I didn't try is the speatzel. Might have to give It a go this weekend. Thanks!

Thanks :-) my daughter prefers the stovetop version, but I love sticking stuff in the 17" CI and letting it do it's magic in the oven!

fivetricks fivetricks The stars finally aligned and I had Chicken Thighs and a fresh can of Paprika at the same time. I made this version, no Shrooms (Sacrilege!) and doubled the sauce indredients. Everything , 14 thighs and sauce, fit in my 17" Lodge Skilket. Totally AWESOME! Great intense Paprika flavor from toasting the spice. A Keeper for sure, may have to try adding Mushrooms next time. Thanks for posting...JJ

fivetricks fivetricks The stars finally aligned and I had Chicken Thighs and a fresh can of Paprika at the same time. I made this version, no Shrooms (Sacrilege!) and doubled the sauce indredients. Everything , 14 thighs and sauce, fit in my 17" Lodge Skilket. Totally AWESOME! Great intense Paprika flavor from toasting the spice. A Keeper for sure, may have to try adding Mushrooms next time. Thanks for posting...JJ
14 thigjs? That would give some nice sauce.

When you say toasted spice you mean fried paprika with the onion? Or you toasted it dry?

Cream before or after?

I added 4 Tablespoons Bacon Grease to the hot skillet and browned the chicken. Added the Onions and got them caramelized. You need 1Tbs Fat for every Tbs of Flour. I added 8Tbs or 1/2C Flour to the Onions, along with 1/2C of Paprika. I stirred over medium heat until the fat was absorbed and the Paprika darkened slightly and smelled like Roasted Peppers, kind of nutty. I then whisked in 4 Cups of Chix Broth and cooked until very thick. I turned the Chicken in the sauce, per directions, then in the oven. The sauce seemed REALLY thick, but the Chicken releases liquid as it cooks and when it comes out of the oven, the Gravy thins. Remove the Chicken then whisk in 2C Sour Cream, over low heat. Bring to a simmer, adjust seasoning and serve.
Unless I am doing a giant batch for a party, Fivetricks Paprikash recipe will be my Go To...JJ

Yay!! Glad you liked it. Nice to be able to contribute to the good of the community instead always just "taking a penny" as it were!

It's ok about the mushrooms..I understand the blasphemy..I just like and and all excuses for mushrooms :-) they go in darn near everything I make.

I even made a Jamaican jerk stroganoff sorta kinda thing the other day (because thems the leftovers I had lol) and tossed a ton of mushrooms in it!

fivetricks fivetricks Just teasing you about the mushrooms. Nothing has to be sacred. A lot of innovation came from folks adding or substituting ingredients in Classic Recipe. I have been adding Thai Fish Sauce to just about everything, Meatloaf, Pasta Sauces and Gravy, every Soup I make and everything that benefits from an Umami boost...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky