Chicken of the Woods!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Buddy found a 6# flush of Chicken of the Woods Mushrooms yesterday. Asked me if I want them....HELL YEAH I said!
IMG_20230914_223458_01.jpg

I picked them up tonight. Now the question is , what am I going to cook this weekend with them? Stay tuned......

Haven't had any of those, what do they taste like?
Do they taste like regular mushrooms

Man those look perfect!! I really need to get out and wander the woods for these and golden oysters

What a delicious looking meal!! I need to find some of those or some golden oysters. Had a nice puffball out back but got to it too late.
PXL_20230901_205837301.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
What a delicious looking meal!! I need to find some of those or some golden oysters. Had a nice puffball out back but got to it too late. View attachment 676398
Don't see many puffballs around here...

I love oyster mushrooms. They grow prolifically everywhere down here. 3 types: whites, golden and brown. The white are the most floral and delicate. the golden are a little more firm and buttery, the browns are the firmest and closest to a portabella...very meaty. All are delicious, but whites are my favorate.

Found a 17# flush of goldens on time... we just float down the bayou close to the bank looking for oyster shrooms...then we hit the motherload! LOL!!!

Reactions: jcam222
Don't see many puffballs around here...

I love oyster mushrooms. They grow prolifically everywhere down here. 3 types: whites, golden and brown. The white are the most floral and delicate. the golden are a little more firm and buttery, the browns are the firmest and closest to a portabella...very meaty. All are delicious, but whites are my favorate.

Found a 17# flush of goldens on time... we just float down the bayou close to the bank looking for oyster shrooms...then we hit the motherload! LOL!!!
Yep the size of some me of the flushes is amazing. We have all three colors here but I think the golden is the most common anymore. I read somewhere that it's considered an invasive fungus. I wish I would invade my backyard lol

Never heard that it was an invasive species. I always thought it was native to North America.
We find them mostly on dead willow trees along the waterways where the humidity is high....which makes it easy to hunt for floating along in a boat.

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for the link. Yeah, no way to prevent mushroom spores from escaping a commercial growing operation. Heck-I've seen them being grown in nothing but grow tents outside! But I'm not concerned about it...nature will eventually sort it all out.

We also have the king oyster mushroom. But I rarely run across those.
One type of oyster mushroom commonly found in Louisiana is the Pleurotus ostreatus, or the “true” oyster mushroom. This mushroom has a white to light brown cap and a short, thick stem. It has a mild flavor that is often described as subtly woody or like seafood.

Another type of oyster mushroom found in Louisiana is the Pleurotus pulmonarius, or the “phoenix” oyster mushroom. This mushroom has a light brown to gray cap and a long, thin stem. It has a slightly stronger flavor than the true oyster mushroom, with a hint of nuttiness.

The Pleurotus eryngii, or king oyster mushroom, is also found in Louisiana. This mushroom has a thick, white stem and a small, flat cap. It has a heartier, more meaty texture than other oyster mushrooms and a mild, nutty flavor.

https://learninglouisiana.com/oyster-mushrooms-in-louisiana-a-guide-to-growing-and-harvesting/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky