1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken Cordon Bleu: Readers Digest Version

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by gmc2003, Apr 15, 2019.

1. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Chicken Cordon Bleu was mentioned a day or so ago in another post, and well it sounded really good. So since I hadn't had it a while - I thought why not. This is an abbreviated version of how I make mine. Some pictures are missing because I got tired of washing my hands. Sorry about that.

First the chicken breasts: Trim off the fatty pieces.

DSC00924.JPG

Butterfly them, and lay them out flat on a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap cover them with another piece of paper or plastic wrap and use Thors hammer to pound them down to a little over a 1/4 of an inch thick.
    DSC00925.JPG

Put them into a bag of buttermilk(or brine of your choosing) and let them rest overnight in the fridge.

DSC00926.JPG

The next day remove from the fridge and rinse off the brine. Lay them flat and pat dry.

DSC00930.JPG
    Once dry place the chicken on a sheet of plastic wrap and season: Two of mine I seasoned with SPOG and the third was with Tony Chachere Creole seasoning.

DSC00932.JPG

Here's where I didn't take any pictures(fingers were all chickeny). Once seasoned add two or more slices of ham and at least two slices of Swiss cheese. Then another slice of ham on top of the cheese. Making sure to cover the whole chicken breast. Then roll them up like a fatty. After they're rolled up tight. Secure each with two or three toothpicks so they don't unravel. After place them back onto the plastic wrap and roll it up again. Then give it a couple of twists to tighten. This helps them keep there shape. I added a meatloaf to fill up the grill grate.

DSC00933.JPG

When your ready to smoke them up remove the plastic wrap and roll the chicken in either a plate of seasoned bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs. Cover well.

DSC00934.JPG
    ...and onto the smoker or grill in this case. That's my 26" kettle running two charcoal basket with apple wood chunks.

DSC00935.JPG

Then their done - chicken at 165* and meatloaf 160ish.
    DSC00936.JPG

Sliced shot of the chicken cordon bleu:

DSC00937.JPG
    and one of the meat loafing.

DSC00938.JPG
    Normally I make a cheese sauce for the Cordon bleu or top it off with a melted slice of swiss, but since these were going in the freezer for future lunches I decided against it this time.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to ask any questions.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice Chris.

Warren

3. Hawging It

Hawging It Master of the Pit

I'm hungry!!!

4. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Looks fantastic Chris! Thanks for popping the idea back in my head to make some! Like!

5. gmc2003

Thank you Warren and for the like really appreciate them.

Thanks Hawging. It's in the freezer if you want one.

Chris

6. gmc2003

Glad to help pop it back into your head Misplaced, and thanks for the like appreciate it.

@Derek717 thanks for the like.

7. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That Sir,is how it's done.:emoji_thumbsup:

8. gmc2003

Thanks Moto, it's simple also.

Chris

9. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

GMC, Great post and some fine looking goodies right there ! like

10. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great , as always .

11. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Master of the Pit

Great write-up! And the food looks really good! Excellent use of the Weber kettle!

12. gmc2003

Thanks for the like and kind words crazy. Appreciate them.

Thank you chop.

Appreciate it Justin, The list of things being cooked on the kettle keeps getting longer and longer.

Chris

13. gmc2003

@jaxgatorz thanks for the like appreciate it.

Chris

14. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

That CCB looks Perfect !!
    As does the Meatloaf!!
    Nice Job, Chris!
    Like.

Bear

15. gmc2003

Thank you very much Bear, the wife wanted one of the bleu's that night and then another the next night so I didn't get to freeze any for future lunches.

Chris

16. gmc2003

17. gmc2003

@Steve H Thank you for the like.

Chris