Chicken Cordon Bleu: Readers Digest Version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Chicken Cordon Bleu was mentioned a day or so ago in another post, and well it sounded really good. So since I hadn't had it a while - I thought why not. This is an abbreviated version of how I make mine. Some pictures are missing because I got tired of washing my hands. Sorry about that.

First the chicken breasts: Trim off the fatty pieces.

DSC00924.JPG

Butterfly them, and lay them out flat on a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap cover them with another piece of paper or plastic wrap and use Thors hammer to pound them down to a little over a 1/4 of an inch thick.
DSC00925.JPG

Put them into a bag of buttermilk(or brine of your choosing) and let them rest overnight in the fridge.

DSC00926.JPG

The next day remove from the fridge and rinse off the brine. Lay them flat and pat dry.

DSC00930.JPG

Once dry place the chicken on a sheet of plastic wrap and season: Two of mine I seasoned with SPOG and the third was with Tony Chachere Creole seasoning.

DSC00932.JPG

Here's where I didn't take any pictures(fingers were all chickeny). Once seasoned add two or more slices of ham and at least two slices of Swiss cheese. Then another slice of ham on top of the cheese. Making sure to cover the whole chicken breast. Then roll them up like a fatty. After they're rolled up tight. Secure each with two or three toothpicks so they don't unravel. After place them back onto the plastic wrap and roll it up again. Then give it a couple of twists to tighten. This helps them keep there shape. I added a meatloaf to fill up the grill grate.

DSC00933.JPG

When your ready to smoke them up remove the plastic wrap and roll the chicken in either a plate of seasoned bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs. Cover well.

DSC00934.JPG

...and onto the smoker or grill in this case. That's my 26" kettle running two charcoal basket with apple wood chunks.

DSC00935.JPG

Then their done - chicken at 165* and meatloaf 160ish.
DSC00936.JPG

Sliced shot of the chicken cordon bleu:

DSC00937.JPG

and one of the meat loafing.

DSC00938.JPG

Normally I make a cheese sauce for the Cordon bleu or top it off with a melted slice of swiss, but since these were going in the freezer for future lunches I decided against it this time.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to ask any questions.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00931.JPG
    DSC00931.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Moto, it's simple also.

Chris

That CCB looks Perfect !!
As does the Meatloaf!!
Nice Job, Chris!
Like.

Bear

Thank you very much Bear, the wife wanted one of the bleu's that night and then another the next night so I didn't get to freeze any for future lunches.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky