Chicken Bacon Ranch recipes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
High salt is only unsafe to your high blood pressure.
I poach my bacon slices in hot water for a few hours to reduce the salt and sugars.

Inedible is a funny term from a person that loves country ham. That approaches inedible
Touche' but I mainly use it in other dishes, not by itself. It is right salty as is.

Here is how I deal with bringing bacon or other salty meats into sausage. I use the weight of the other meats as a base for additional salt and sugar and add 1.5% salt, and 0.75% sugar for that weight. So using my own bacon, I still maintain about the same salt/sugar content in the sausage.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Not sure...don't think I've ever had country ham...better take them with whiskey if I do!

Ryan
lol Just take a slice of regular ham, dump a couple teaspoons of salt on it, and shove it in your mouth. Well, maybe not that much, but it's salty similar to how salt pork is salty.

I just realized that this won't have any cure in it so I can test a piece before stuffing. So I will probably just cut the salt back to 1% , maybe even less, because the bacon will have salt and the Ranch Powder will also have salt. I can adjust from there when I cook a sample.

Worst case scenario I join you boys with heart pills haha

I just realized that this won't have any cure in it so I can test a piece before stuffing. So I will probably just cut the salt back to 1% , maybe even less, because the bacon will have salt and the Ranch Powder will also have salt. I can adjust from there when I cook a sample.

You could also figure out the salt content in the ranch powder and bacon (if using store bought) per serving, and know how much is in a given weight.

Calculating the salt content of food​

Some food labels may only state the sodium content.
To convert sodium to salt, you need to multiply the amount by 2.5.
For example, 1g of sodium per 100g = 2.5 grams of salt per 100g

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
You could also figure out the salt content in the ranch powder and bacon (if using store bought) per serving, and know how much is in a given weight.

Yeah, I tried to do the math as best I could. We shall see how it turns out. Just gave it a try. I tasted a little bit of the farce but I think i tried to cook it at wayyyy to high of a temperature so we shall see after I let it sit in the fridge overnight and do my normal routine.

cbs1.png

Reactions: tbern and DougE
And even if it doesn't turn out exactly as planned, you have a starting point to work from. I keep a notebook on the recipes I try, adjustments I've made, what worked and what didn't for each one I make.

Looks good here too.

I use high temperature cheese in my favorite sausage and cut the salt (Not on pills but BP climbing) due to those salty nuggets.
It does take math to add up the sodium influence from all the additives.

Reactions: DougE
That is what i ended up with. Pretty good but not mind blowing. Might serve it on a roll with ranch haha

Attachments

• cbs2.png
    cbs2.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: TNJAKE
Also, is there anyway to preseve the snap of a sausage? I didn't get it with this one with natural hog casings. Might have made the farce too wet.

That is what i ended up with. Pretty good but not mind blowing. Might serve it on a roll with ranch haha
Cheese makes everything better. Maybe try something with a little zip like pepper jack in the next batch.

As far as the casings, I have some from the sausage maker I'm working through right now that end up a little tough no matter how I treat them, so it may just be the casings. A few other members here have had the same issue.

Cheese makes everything better. Maybe try something with a little zip like pepper jack in the next batch.

As far as the casings, I have some from the sausage maker I'm working through right now that end up a little tough no matter how I treat them, so it may just be the casings. A few other members here have had the same issue.
Yeah, will do. I think next batch I might add cure to and then smoke them in addition to adding a cheddar.

For these I am going to just serve them on a roll with ranch on top and then bacon bits haha. This is only my 2nd sausage so I have alot of learning to be done.

I've not been at it for a very long time either. I also don't think there is such a thing as not still learning with sausage making. There are some basic guidelines to be followed, but when it comes to spice profiles, the sky is the limit. Like I said previously, keep notes on each sausage recipe you make, noting changes to the original recipe, and if they worked or not.

I've not been at it for a very long time either. I also don't think there is such a thing as not still learning with sausage making. There are some basic guidelines to be followed, but when it comes to spice profiles, the sky is the limit. Like I said previously, keep notes on each sausage recipe you make, noting changes to the original recipe, and if they worked or not.

Yeah I have an excel document going now hah.

Looks good from here.
Also, is there anyway to preseve the snap of a sausage? I didn't get it with this one with natural hog casings. Might have made the farce too wet.
Dry the sausage well in heat before smoking to set the casing.
Sometimes its the casing sometimes its my smoking and pasteurizing temps.
The best is if I can cut the links apart after the casing sets. Then add the smoke.
Every sausage maker has their own technique for spicing, stuffing and smoking.
Make it what you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky