Chicken and Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brave raven

Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
in the middle of SC
I have a question. I have been doing Boston Butts for some time now and I feel comfortable with it. Not only that, I have now been asked to do bbq at some of the get togethers. As a matter of fact, everybody is bow so confident on how good I do, I just did over 50#'s of bbq just a few weeks and it turned out alot better than expected. I didnt do anything but use my wife's stepdad's grill to cook the meat. But my question is this. I am now ready to do Chicken and Ribs. I would rather just do chicken thighs. Can I get some tips on how to do and about how long it would take on both meats. This would be greatly appreciated,

Wow! Your going to get a ton of opinions on that.
Dave pointed you in the right direction .
Fist time with ribs stick to a tried and true method such as a 3-2-1 with spares and a 2-2-1 with baby backs. You can search the forum for these methods.
After your first rib cook, you can tweak it to your liking.
Thighs can be smoked then thrown on a hot grill for a few minutes then sauced.
My opinion would be to Try to start off with a low sugar dry rub on the thighs but that is only one mans opinion.
Play with it and have fun.
Keep it safe
Keep it simple
keep it fun.
Oh and take lots of picturea

You didn't say when the next get together is but if you have time it's always good to do some practice runs before you smoke for others so that you can get your method down, plus you get some good meals out of the practice!

Well, S2K9K, I am doing acouple of Boston Butts on New Years Eve. But I might not do chicken on that day. I really havent decided on that yet. I just really wanna try it out and get some opinions and ideas. And possibly even some pointers on what I can do. There are a couple of friends that wouldnt mind being my guinea pigs so to speak. I just needed some advice and go from there.

Well it sounds like you have some good test subjects. Like Sqwib said you are going to get a ton of opinions so my advice is to use the search bar and read some threads and take the flavors and methods that sound good to you.

You will definetley want to brine the chicken and there are some good brines on here and you can add your own spices to them to your liking.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry

A full rack of Spare Ribs will take about 6 hours at 225*F...The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every time whether you are using the meatier Full rack spare rib or the Saint Louis cut. Baby Back ribs use a 2-2-1 method. The ribs are smoked at 225 - 250 degrees for best results...
The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub on them and some smoke with your favorite hardwood such as hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan, etc. After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just before you seal them up add some Apple Juice or Foiling Juice and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to be able to flow around the meat and Flavor/Tenderize it.
The ribs cook in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours undisturbed. There is no need for Smoke at this point... After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour, with smoke if you wish.This firms them up, creates a nice Bark and finishes the cooking process. You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you like. The meat will be pretty close to fall off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful. Check out my Foiling Juice it makes Killer Ribs...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky