Chicken Ala Vodka in a Spaghetti Squash Boat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
So now that the kids are back out of the house (one in college and the other in NH teaching) we are again empty nesters for a while. So, it is time to get back to healthier cooking and exercising as this summer took a toll on my numbers (both weight and sugar A1C).

Tonight we decided to do a spaghetti squash boat filled with chicken ala vodka. You can take this meal in a ton of different directions, we have done them Mexican, Italian, Asian.

I did not have any prosciutto so bacon was first up in the pan to add some smokiness.
1.jpg

After it crisped a little, I deglazed the pan with a bit of Chardonnay.
2.jpg

Added pounded and cubed chicken breast some garlic, oregano, thyme and parsley.
3.jpg

Threw in some chopped onion
4.jpg

Then the obligatory peas
5.jpg

added a jar of vodka sauce with some parmesan cheese
7.jpg

Pulled some fresh basil from the garden and a little bit of half and half to make it a bit creamy
8.jpg

Spaghetti squash boats out of the oven after a 40 minute roast with some spices added. Flaked a bit of the spaghetti before adding the contents but not too much, need to leave some room.
6.jpg

Filled up with the ala vodka mixture and topped with Reggiano Parmesan cheese and a ton of grated mozzarella.
9.jpg

out of the oven after another quick bake to melt the cheese added crushed red pepper to mine across the top.
10.jpg

Turned out sooo good with plenty left over to fill the boat up again tomorrow. Much less carbs than using real past and a really cool presentation. Like I said, the squash boats can be filled with so many different options. I would love to see what directions everyone here would do, especially tx smoker tx smoker ? I thought about taking this Tex-mex but I scored some nice poblano peppers today that I now have other ideas for later in the week.

Thanks for reading - Cliff

clifish clifish
I've made this before but not posted it.
It's not a squash boat, it's deconstructed.

Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp Scampi
Roast the squash and separate the strands.
In a skillet add butter and just a splash of white wine, add shrimp and saute until the shrimp just start to turn color.
Now add in some spinach and wilt it.
Add salt to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.
Serve immediately.

Reactions: clifish
clifish clifish
I've made this before but not posted it.
It's not a squash boat, it's deconstructed.

Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp Scampi
Roast the squash and separate the strands.
In a skillet add butter and just a splash of white wine, add shrimp and saute until the shrimp just start to turn color.
Now add in some spinach and wilt it.
Add salt to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.
Serve immediately.
I have done it that way many times. I like the boat presentation a bit better though. Great meals either way.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I have done it that way many times. I like the boat presentation a bit better though. Great meals either way.
There is always the classic sauteed shrooms with garlic and onions, in butter or marinara.
But that's not exactly exciting unless you use some exotic or wild shrooms.
Same goes for beef wild rice with fresh herbs, run of the mill but still tasty.

There is always the classic sauteed shrooms with garlic and onions, in butter or marinara.
I'll second that on the shrooms! Especially after Jed, bauchjw bauchjw sent us some shrooms. I'll say those Goldens are the bomb!

Ryan

Those look delicious, thanks for sharing!!
No problem glad you liked it
Well hand me an oar...I'm gonna take that boat for a ride! Straight to my tummy!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan have enough for another ride tonight
yeah Chili, might have to Jed's place and order some special shrooms I can't get locally.
Awesome! Great thread too! Looks incredible!
Thanks Jed
That looks so good Cliff. Nice cook.

If you ever want to just get the strands this lady has the best procedure ever. So easy

Thanks Brian, I will use this method when I want it out of the boat
That looks so good Cliff. Nice cook.

If you ever want to just get the strands this lady has the best procedure ever. So easy

Thanks David yes, so many ways to go

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Cliff, I think I done went and fell in love...hopelessly, helplessly, head-over-heels in love!! What an amazing concept and incredible dish. You'd recently mentioned how much inspiration folks can get from this forum. Well, another perfect example my friend. This is pure awesome!!

Robert

Reactions: clifish
Cliff, I think I done went and fell in love...hopelessly, helplessly, head-over-heels in love!! What an amazing concept and incredible dish. You'd recently mentioned how much inspiration folks can get from this forum. Well, another perfect example my friend. This is pure awesome!!

Robert
Thanks Robert, I can only imagine (OK I can't) what spin you can put on this.

So now that the kids are back out of the house (one in college and the other in NH teaching) we are again empty nesters for a while. So, it is time to get back to healthier cooking and exercising as this summer took a toll on my numbers (both weight and sugar A1C).

Tonight we decided to do a spaghetti squash boat filled with chicken ala vodka. You can take this meal in a ton of different directions, we have done them Mexican, Italian, Asian.

I did not have any prosciutto so bacon was first up in the pan to add some smokiness.
View attachment 641747
After it crisped a little, I deglazed the pan with a bit of Chardonnay.
View attachment 641748
Added pounded and cubed chicken breast some garlic, oregano, thyme and parsley.
View attachment 641749
Threw in some chopped onion
View attachment 641750
Then the obligatory peas
View attachment 641751
added a jar of vodka sauce with some parmesan cheese
View attachment 641752
Pulled some fresh basil from the garden and a little bit of half and half to make it a bit creamy
View attachment 641753
Spaghetti squash boats out of the oven after a 40 minute roast with some spices added. Flaked a bit of the spaghetti before adding the contents but not too much, need to leave some room.
View attachment 641754
Filled up with the ala vodka mixture and topped with Reggiano Parmesan cheese and a ton of grated mozzarella.
View attachment 641755
out of the oven after another quick bake to melt the cheese added crushed red pepper to mine across the top.
View attachment 641756
Turned out sooo good with plenty left over to fill the boat up again tomorrow. Much less carbs than using real past and a really cool presentation. Like I said, the squash boats can be filled with so many different options. I would love to see what directions everyone here would do, especially tx smoker tx smoker ? I thought about taking this Tex-mex but I scored some nice poblano peppers today that I now have other ideas for later in the week.

Thanks for reading - Cliff
Obligatory peas....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky