Cherry Wood Smoked Tomahawks!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So not a lot of celebration for the fam this weekend as we were using the long weekend to move a bunch of things to storage next to the new place.....so our celebration was to just hang out in our trailer doing nothing after unloading the 2-Uhauls.

So in my haste of everything I buried the portable camping grill in the storage shed....aaaag!!!! So out of desperation I saw this little baby on the shelf at the local hardware store so I grabbed it quick, it was the last one!
3637C5C8-A006-4445-96D7-316BDBDA2F1F.jpeg

So I washed it down, oiled and seasoned it last night in prep for the big meal today!

it just so happens all my bags of coals where front and center in the storage shed. So today I got it fired up with a nice little bed of coals. After these where lit I placed some others around the grate so they would delay fire
0457BB94-266A-4A5D-80A4-FCA8DA43B370.jpeg

Then I prepped the sides, these cool sweet baby onionsbaby red and and white spuds, sliced then seasoned with herbs and SPOG and butter, forgot the olive oil....
FCEBFD82-C420-4A3F-A5C1-967F6E7B172D.jpeg

These were covered in foil then placed in the little smoker grill.
01355F3C-ACEE-4A2A-B83C-F1A4CDE42827.jpeg

next was some baby Bella’s and the same cool onions and seasonings
60839C51-913C-4AF8-AEA7-C49BB9E3CD14.jpeg

once the shrooms were prepped, I started on the beautiful tomahawks! Each weighed in at about 3lbs each @6.99/lb
F239A453-8B2F-4B1A-AE8F-DCC22EB0A2D4.jpeg

They were heavily seasoned with my go to SPOG & dusted with lemon pepper
24493C4B-641D-4925-AD69-7AD4F2B11231.jpeg

On they went with the spuds after they had been on for 15 min in the heat! At this point I’m very nervous cause this could be an epic fail.........
78AA74FB-B7D7-45ED-B8BE-3D3809043792.jpeg

They smoked with cherry chips for about 35 mins more turning every 5 min or so. Then I pulled them to rest and put the shrooms on and spuds on.
3B3331F1-C1DD-4854-832C-02482583F28A.jpeg

Bingo!! At this point it’s nothing but smiles all around!
99A12161-C2E6-4BC2-8AF9-F242A3AA7D02.jpeg

pure meat money on a stick!!
60C3B541-1971-4E86-BA4C-D2676D063C5D.jpeg

The full picnic table spread at the rv park. Lots of eyes from the other rv’ers!
418E9AA7-FD13-4829-99B2-7B3CE5999E8F.jpeg

this is one of my best rv steak plates I think I have done......Everything done over the little griller/smoker
4E4A6089-952B-4FC9-820F-22D716DEF732.jpeg

I’m just loving the little new griller/smoker!!
629279A6-5C24-4D8F-BB47-9CE9EB6AD698.jpeg

Happy 4th of July!!!!

You have a great looking meal there! Nice job

Ryan

That look's great! I may run out of wood now and then but never cherry wood.
thanks whistle! Cherry is my fav wood to smoke with. It adds a velvety flavor and rich color!

Looks amazing and a good price!
Thanks Jake! It was going to be hot dogs till that price screamed at me.....the meal plan changed directions real fast!

You have a great looking meal there! Nice job

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I’m blown away with how well the little cooker did..... I was afraid it wouldn’t breath as I had it loaded! But it pulled through and did a fine job......I’m going to call it “Thomas, I know I can cooker”!!! Lol

Reactions: whistlepig
Really excellent meal! Whether in an RV or anywhere, I'd consider that a delicacy. Very innovative and great skills. Enjoy!

Mike

When life gives you lemons....

By a small grill and cook up an epic meal. Big big like.
Never cooked a steak on a stick but may have to give it a go.

Johnny Ray

Really excellent meal! Whether in an RV or anywhere, I'd consider that a delicacy. Very innovative and great skills. Enjoy!

Mike
Thanks Mike! If I can borrow a saying “I love it when a plan comes together!”

I’ve been doing lots of open fire cooking practice on our X-Fire grill so that sure help navigate the adventure for sure!

Darn nice looking meal Civil . . . I want to camp by you !
Thanks Winter! There was plenty for a few more plates at the table for sure! Cooking while camping is a fav activity for me. I have a planned build for little grill like this one but now I have one.....but the build will have to happen at some time in the future.....

When life gives you lemons....

By a small grill and cook up an epic meal. Big big like.
Never cooked a steak on a stick but may have to give it a go.

Johnny Ray

Thanks Johnny R, and how did you know I have an ice cold mug of lemon aid right now at this very moment?

Meat on a stick is a cool experience for sure. It’s fun for special occasions like every day dinner! Lol...

So not a lot of celebration for the fam this weekend as we were using the long weekend to move a bunch of things to storage next to the new place.....so our celebration was to just hang out in our trailer doing nothing after unloading the 2-Uhauls.

So in my haste of everything I buried the portable camping grill in the storage shed....aaaag!!!! So out of desperation I saw this little baby on the shelf at the local hardware store so I grabbed it quick, it was the last one!
View attachment 452490
So I washed it down, oiled and seasoned it last night in prep for the big meal today!

it just so happens all my bags of coals where front and center in the storage shed. So today I got it fired up with a nice little bed of coals. After these where lit I placed some others around the grate so they would delay fire
View attachment 452477
Then I prepped the sides, these cool sweet baby onionsbaby red and and white spuds, sliced then seasoned with herbs and SPOG and butter, forgot the olive oil....
View attachment 452478
These were covered in foil then placed in the little smoker grill.
View attachment 452479

next was some baby Bella’s and the same cool onions and seasonings
View attachment 452480

once the shrooms were prepped, I started on the beautiful tomahawks! Each weighed in at about 3lbs each @6.99/lb
View attachment 452481

They were heavily seasoned with my go to SPOG & dusted with lemon pepper
View attachment 452489

On they went with the spuds after they had been on for 15 min in the heat! At this point I’m very nervous cause this could be an epic fail.........
View attachment 452482

They smoked with cherry chips for about 35 mins more turning every 5 min or so. Then I pulled them to rest and put the shrooms on and spuds on.
View attachment 452483

Bingo!! At this point it’s nothing but smiles all around!
View attachment 452484

pure meat money on a stick!!
View attachment 452485

The full picnic table spread at the rv park. Lots of eyes from the other rv’ers!
View attachment 452486

this is one of my best rv steak plates I think I have done......Everything done over the little griller/smoker
View attachment 452487

I’m just loving the little new griller/smoker!!
View attachment 452488
Happy 4th of July!!!!
It's still not too late to adopt me.
Holy cow adapt and overcome.......... great looking meal, nice work.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Wow!! What great improvisation. Fantastic looking meal for sure. I hope a lot of the new folks see this one. It reinforces the fact that you don't need a big, fancy, expensive cooker to turn out some great food. Beautiful meal and kudos for the lesson on a basic grill/smoker.

Robert

It's still not too late to adopt me.
Holy cow adapt and overcome.......... great looking meal, nice work.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Dan, the adoption papers are somewhere in the storage shed....lol I will find them eventually! When I saw these baby’s in the window they called to me so it became my mission to do it right!

The Little Smoker That Could! Piece of work, beautiful! RAY
Thanks Ray! I am really impressed with the little guy “Thomas” for sure!

Big Like here. That looks amazing!

Dave
A big thanks Dave!

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Wow!! What great improvisation. Fantastic looking meal for sure. I hope a lot of the new folks see this one. It reinforces the fact that you don't need a big, fancy, expensive cooker to turn out some great food. Beautiful meal and kudos for the lesson on a basic grill/smoker.

Robert
Thanks Robert! All you need is a little practice with making a plan, patience and maintaining good air flow. The fire and sweet smoke will do the rest! The lady at the hardware store was asking me what I used the little trays for so when I told her and I could see her eyes light up as she said I’m going to have to try that!!

FYI....Plan B was a few cinder blocks and two cheep replacement grates...... lol! By the way you can create a nice little oven/smoker way!

WOW Civil, that is a fantastic lookin' meal!

I knew they couldn't keep a fellow smoker down.

BIG LIKE!

John
thanks John! It’s funny cause the wife must have recognized the look in my eye when I saw those steaks cause she just said you are the one that buried the grill..... I just smiled at her and said I have coals!!! Her response was....just know I’m NOT cooking any of it!!!

Strong work on improvising. I'm liking it all.
Thanks JL! It was a fun meal to put together!

Reactions: JLeonard
Everything looks Fantastic, Civil !!
I'd be all over that Blue Plate!!!
LOL---3 Pound Steak!
I just smoked a Prime Rib last week that was under 3 pounds!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Everything looks Fantastic, Civil !!
I'd be all over that Blue Plate!!!
LOL---3 Pound Steak!
I just smoked a Prime Rib last week that was under 3 pounds!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear!! Yea a 3lb steak!!! It doesn’t get much better that in my book!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky