chemical patina + oil VS painting...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wgzn

Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
I'm mid-process on a custom smoker build and we've come to the point of discussing finish. This is kind of a rough-industrial "steam-punk" design, and I'm wanting something other than the usual "high-temp-black" finish.

I've been looking around the web and came across something that chemically patinas steel and you can top that with an oil rub. This seems to be done more on firearms and decor pieces, and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's suited for high-temp situations.

The builder has suggested a muriatic acid wipe. I've done that with new chain to "bronze" it for a kitchen pot rack. But 6 feet of chain is one thing. A big-ass smoker is another...

Anyone here ever do, or see something like this done?

Seen something posted recently of a rust/antique look finish . will try to remember where I seen that.

I'm mid-process on a custom smoker build and we've come to the point of discussing finish. This is kind of a rough-industrial "steam-punk" design, and I'm wanting something other than the usual "high-temp-black" finish.

I've been looking around the web and came across something that chemically patinas steel and you can top that with an oil rub. This seems to be done more on firearms and decor pieces, and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's suited for high-temp situations.

The builder has suggested a muriatic acid wipe. I've done that with new chain to "bronze" it for a kitchen pot rack. But 6 feet of chain is one thing. A big-ass smoker is another...

Anyone here ever do, or see something like this done?
If you want a different old school blackish bluish patina that won't peel or flake like paint, you could try black walnut husks boiled in water until the water almost starts thickening. This will produce a very serious natural dye that will pretty much permanently stain anything including steel, mix this dye with white vinegar so it has some acid bite into the steel, brush it on and let it sit for a while and buff off and repeat (kind of like staining wood) until you get the desired look.. It certainly won't look like paint that's for sure. It will have a modeled imperfect sort of semi transparent patina. The steel has to be shiny and clean and totally degreased beforehand.
Then when it is the color you like let it dry really well and then season right over it with a few coats of canola. I use original PAM on all my stuff works great.
That would be a unique finish that nobody else has guaranteed. Try it out on some scrap steel.
If you don't have black walnut trees in your area or can't wait for the fall for the nuts to come down.
I am fairly certain you can buy dried black walnut husks on Ebay.. You probably won't need much more then a couple pounds.
The other chemicals made for browning and blueing
Are typically pretty toxic and sold in really small amounts for gun parts etc. And would probably cost you quite a bit of money and a hazmat suit to apply safely to a B A Smoker.

Reactions: wgzn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky