Chefs Choice Meat Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dabutcher

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2021
Morning everyone , Im in the market for a meat slicer and hear chefs choice mentioned quite a bit . Will the slicer get through summer sausage or canadian bacon without the blade stopping . I just dont want the motor to struggle and get fat melt trying to get through the meat . Maybe you guys have good experience with others . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Have a great safe holiday . Thanks

I have a chef choice. Has worked flawless. Motor never bogs. Cuts beautifully. Gonna put mine to work on a slab of bacon this afternoon

Morning everyone , Im in the market for a meat slicer and hear chefs choice mentioned quite a bit . Will the slicer get through summer sausage or canadian bacon without the blade stopping . I just dont want the motor to struggle and get fat melt trying to get through the meat . Maybe you guys have good experience with others . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Have a great safe holiday . Thanks
I have a Chef's Choice 615 using the serrated blade 99% of the time.

I've done plenty of bacon, sandwich meat (homemade bologna, summer sausages, etc.), and even brisket flat pastrami. It has never seemed to bog down, slow, or show any performance issues.

It has no issue AND it is very easy to clean. Most of it can go in the dish washer and I can get my finger into any major crevace to clean out the base unit. A cutip can get anywhere to clean any part of the base unit.

It should do what you want. Enjoy! :)

i bought a LEM slicer because it was the only one I could find came with a standard blade and a serrated blade. it's a couple years old and still doing fine. I have yet to use the serrated blade.
mostly slicing pork bellies for bacon and I around or prime rib chunks for a sandwich slices. don't know the model number but it was in the same price range as all the Cabela's in Chef choice

Which model are you thinking of, i'm about to pull the trigger on the 615A.

I also have the Nesco FS-250 - got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $69. It's certainly not a commercial quality, but I use it for slicing roast beef, cheeses, potatoes, and beef for jerky. Easy cleanup and the serrated blade has been fine for everything, including bread.

CC slicers are popular. The only advice I can offer is to let the slicer do the work; don't force it. Nice easy feeding into the blade and you will be fine. In addition to the CC line, LEM and Nesco have a good reputation.

I have a CC also & just sold my big commercial 12” slicer, because we use the CC most of the time. Never had it bog down yet. Another trick you can use to make slicing easier is to partially freeze the meat before slicing.
Al

Chefs choice 615a or chefs choice 667, both are comparable in price, seems the 667 is a better model with the shapener built in

Chefs choice 615a or chefs choice 667, both are comparable in price, seems the 667 is a better model with the shapener built in
Hi there and welcome!
Be sure to check if you can get replacement blades and such for a 667. I chose a 615 over a higher model number because there was no part support.
Just a little bit of info to consider :)

Reactions: jcam222
Are blades not that common to find? How often would it need to be replaced seeing as it has the sharpening stone?

I think I am going to pass on the 667, the stories about cleaning it are a nightmare. I wanted this mostly for the sharpening stone. I would like something of the same quality though. Any recommendations?

Are blades not that common to find? How often would it need to be replaced seeing as it has the sharpening stone?
I haven't checked recently but the blades that fit the 610 and 615 and other parts are common. Other models not so much.
I think I am going to pass on the 667, the stories about cleaning it are a nightmare. I wanted this mostly for the sharpening stone. I would like something of the same quality though. Any recommendations?
The 615 cleanup is a breeze! It's all dishwasher safe except the base unit lol.
Also I think you can buy and add a sharpener to the 615 model but double check me on that.

Check the slicers at LEM. They have a couple that are fairly inexpensive, one is belt driven with 2 blades. They also have the larger and. heavier slicers. Pretty good selection for those who have ruled out the chefs choice slicers.

Reactions: fxsales1959
Keep an eye out for commercial stuff being sold off for one reason or another. I got my Chefmate by Globe for $200. It's a 10" blade with only the blade ring exposed, very low drag. It slices see-thru pastrami and I bet it would slice a tree limb.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky