Chef Jimmys corned beef brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
The recipe says 3/4 cup Morton’s salt (if DC). Sorry but what does DC refer too

Sorry, Diamond Crystal. 1C Table Salt is 10 ounces. 1C Morton's Kosher is about 7 ounces. And, 1C Diamond Crystal is about 5 ounces. This why measuring by Weight is a good idea. 5 ounces of Salt, by weight, is 5 ounces no matter whether it's Powdered, Fine, Kosher or Rock Salt...JJ

This confusion is why i always use new recipes at 1/4 the salt (by volume) unless specified by weight.
Many on-line recipes that go by volume use kosher salt. Kosher is around half the weight of canning or fresh ground salt.
I go lower because you need to reduce your sodium intake.

Going by Weight is the most accurate for recipe repeatability. The issue, every household has Dry and Wet Measuring Cups and Spoons but few have Scales accurate to the Gram or 10th of an Ounce and less have scales to the 10th or 100th Gram. Add that Americans think the Metric System is the Work of the Devil and generations old Family Recipes are written in Volume Measurements if not Handfuls and Pinches, and you may NEVER see Recipes with Weight Measurement, especially in the Metric System in the USA...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky