Cheese Test (Strange Taste Buds ??)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Provel stuff looks killer but not available here.
It's a St. Louis thing . I've posted it before . Popular on pizza . I like it shredded . Good stuff .
20190630_180520.jpg 20200215_174546.jpg

Reactions: Hamdrew and zwiller
I never noticed the cheese Rich and was too busy drooling over the pizza. LOL Did you use it on your Detroit? It would be VERY close to legit then.

Reactions: chopsaw
zwiller zwiller
LOL . Didn't mean that the way it sounds . The Hoffman is a good brand of cheese . I just got back from GFS . Check there next time you go . I found this . It also has Muenster in it .
Makes it more like velveeta . The Hoffman Hamdrew posted is the legit St. Louis pizza cheese .
Firmer texture . The Detroit uses brick cheese . I might try that next time . I can get that here , or the provel would be good too .
IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4815.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
zwiller zwiller
LOL . Didn't mean that the way it sounds . The Hoffman is a good brand of cheese . I just got back from GFS . Check there next time you go . I found this . It also has Muenster in it .
Makes it more like velveeta . The Hoffman Hamdrew posted is the legit St. Louis pizza cheese .
Firmer texture . The Detroit uses brick cheese . I might try that next time . I can get that here , or the provel would be good too .
View attachment 484388 View attachment 484389
Imos is that smoked white american cut with a block of a very soft melty provelone+swiss.

Also, yes use brick cheese next time. It's pretty damned cheap sliced/prepacked at Dierbergs, if you've never noticed.

Imos is a pizza chain that uses provel cheese .
they make their own blend in house. i can double check (friend runs a couple on this side of the river)

pasta house does theirs, too. get the same crusts from US foods. sauce aint NEARLY as good, though..

and man, that smoked white american was always a good breakfast

That one I've had, and I love it for Snacking with Meat and/or crackers.
However it's a bit hard & dry for in a Sammy.

Bear
That's why it made such a good breakfast, LOL!!

Imo's/Pasta House/St.Louis/provel uses a softer, more processed block than that. Some kinda red/white label whose name escapes me.. been craving it since seeing your thread this day, so I might have to call up US Foods. lol

Thank You Jake!!
I would probably like it with queso too, but I never had it. I had to look it up, and the closest I ever came to queso was "Cheese Fondu" we had in 1970, when My Sister & her Husband visited us in Oahu, when they vacationed there, while I was stationed at Schoefield.

Bear

Thank You John!!
It's a good thing I'm not a Female, because I'm Easy & I'm Fun & I'm Cheap!!
Glad you enjoy my Posts, though.

Bear
Hey Bear,
That is funny you mentioned 1970 and Schofield. My Dad was army and in Feb. of 1970 he was stationed in Schofield also. Best 3 years of my life as a kid.

Hey Bear,
That is funny you mentioned 1970 and Schofield. My Dad was army and in Feb. of 1970 he was stationed in Schofield also. Best 3 years of my life as a kid.

I was there from August of 1969 to October of 1970.
IMHO---It's a Great place for Kids & Beach-lovers, but I couldn't wait to get back to My Mountains in Pennsylvania!!!
However, It really is Beautiful in Hawaii though!!

Bear

Reactions: ptcruiserguy
Being from Wisconsin, I’m a little bit of a cheese snob, and it’s easy to forget that other parts of the country don’t have the widely varied selection in the grocery stores that we take for granted.

I know we ate it when I was a kid, but I can’t tell you the last time I had velveeta, could be 30 years. I like to joke it’s about 1 ingredient away from being plastic, add some hardener and you can repair your bumper with it. 🤪

I recommend looking for American Cheese in the deli and have it sliced for you, or at least make sure the singles are called “pasturized process cheese”, anything else contains other ingredients.

Real cheese costs more, but it is so worth it.
Good melters and flavor profiles for a grilled sandwich are colby, provolone, muenster, and fontina.

Being from Wisconsin, I’m a little bit of a cheese snob, and it’s easy to forget that other parts of the country don’t have the widely varied selection in the grocery stores that we take for granted.

I know we ate it when I was a kid, but I can’t tell you the last time I had velveeta, could be 30 years. I like to joke it’s about 1 ingredient away from being plastic, add some hardener and you can repair your bumper with it. 🤪

I recommend looking for American Cheese in the deli and have it sliced for you, or at least make sure the singles are called “pasturized process cheese”, anything else contains other ingredients.

Real cheese costs more, but it is so worth it.
Good melters and flavor profiles for a grilled sandwich are colby, provolone, muenster, and fontina.

Yup, You're definitely above me on the Cheese assortment.
And I agree the Real American Cheese that they slice for me at the Deli is best, And Provolone is my Favorite with Cheesesteaks. I don't think I ever had fontina or muenster, so I can't say on them. Swiss I like for certain things, like "Ham & Swiss Sammy".
So Thanks for sharing your Wisconsin Cheese knowledge!!
I Appreciate it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky