Cheese Smorgasboard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
465DA614-BB39-45C1-8DF5-D3BAC30F06AD.jpeg
B3600494-5C5E-4F6F-BF70-E8BCEC5CC904.jpeg
No smoking or grilling today. Just sitting here enjoying some cheese from this “grab bag”. I get these at a local Mennonite store. Brilliant on their part to sell the scraps, I love it because you never know what tasty cheese morsel you might get. So far I’ve found some smoked cheddar, lightning jack, co jack and some really hot pepper jack. One of these days I’ll get around to buying some chunks to smoke.

Try them in Mac & Chz or Cheese Spread! I managed a Deli for awhile. We had a couple of customers that bought ends just for the above. The spread is easy. Dump some Chz in a food processor, add Cream Chz, a bit of S&P, Horseradish and a dash of Worcestershire. Start grinding and add a little Heavy Cream, if needed, to get the consistency desired...JJ

Try them in Mac & Chz or Cheese Spread! I managed a Deli for awhile. We had a couple of customers that bought ends just for the above. The spread is easy. Dump some Chz in a food processor, add Cream Chz, a bit of S&P, Horseradish and a dash of Worcestershire. Start grinding and add a little Heavy Cream, if needed, to get the consistency desired...JJ
I think I may just tey that. Coincidentally cream cheese and heavy cream are two things I just restocked today. Must be fate.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
We have So Many Great Cheese stores here in Wisconsin that it's a blessing (or maybe a curse?). We've smoked a bunch of them now and I have my favorites. More than pulled pork and beef brisket, they are adding to my waste line :-( Be that as it is, I'll still be doing more smoked cheese!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
We have So Many Great Cheese stores here in Wisconsin that it's a blessing (or maybe a curse?). We've smoked a bunch of them now and I have my favorites. More than pulled pork and beef brisket, they are adding to my waste line :-( Be that as it is, I'll still be doing more smoked cheese!
I get up that way every couple months. I always stop at a place called Mars Cheese Castle. I can spend hours there lol. Their older aged white cheddars are so delicous.

Totally Jealous! Ex-Sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack are considered exotic cheeses in the small town I live in. I got to travel 1.5 hours to get Brie or Parm Reggiano! 4 hours for anything Imported or with Goats Milk. Cheese of the Month Clubs are STUPID Expensive!...JJ

Totally Jealous! Ex-Sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack are considered exotic cheeses in the small town I live in. I got to travel 1.5 hours to get Brie or Parm Reggiano! 4 hours for anything Imported or with Goats Milk. Cheese of the Month Clubs are STUPID Expensive!...JJ
Now I know what to get you if I draw you in the Christmas exchange lol.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Yup, I'm in Cheese Valhalla!!!
My so-so local cheese store has some AWESOME Ghost pepper cheese, some Lacy swiss and Lacy Hivarti. Then there's The the Montimori factory (like a white crumbly cheese with kosher salt crystals in it) and I'm still searching for the mom and pop that makes the mozzarella where they age it by stacking it on cedar bows . I'm sorry but "Happy Cow" - I lived there for a while - doesn't hold a candle in comparison - IMO.

Edit.. did I mention the locally made Asiago and Supressa sausage or the really strong blue cheese? WOW!!!

Last edited:
I get up that way every couple months. I always stop at a place called Mars Cheese Castle. I can spend hours there lol. Their older aged white cheddars are so delicous.
Go further north. Check out the Cranberry cheddar cheese, The Blue cheese spread and if you get up to the UP get some of their local Asiago.

Reactions: jcam222
Happy Cow was a quality cheese in the 70's. Each had a different flavor and was firm like Gouda. It was nothing like that cream cheese like Crap it is now...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky