Cheese smoking newbie. Need help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

StarkOdinson

Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
Hi guy's and gals. I'm new to smoking cheese. Iv done it about 4-5 times with mixed results. At first I used an amaze n pellet tube and just a regular grill . my cheese wasn't really taking on that smoked color so I resorted to using 2 pellet tubes and sealing my grill with tin foil. Even still I'm getting some smoke flavor but I'm not getting that nice smoked color. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please give me some advice

what kind of cheese do you smoke. what type pellets ya using, is your cheese dry when your smoking it, how are you venting your grill, are you letting it sit over night uncovered in fridge after you smoke it, not sure if any of these would effect color but we need to start somewhere to see if we can help you.

Smoking works a lot better in my opinion in a vertical direction. Do you have access to any sort of barrel or drum to let the smoke rise? If not seal one side of the grill to create a draft for the smoke to flow over the cheese. One tube should be plenty... Just don't use mesquite pellets as they are too strong for most cheese.

my cheese wasn't really taking on that smoked color so I resorted to using 2 pellet tubes and sealing my grill with tin foil.

Don't worry about the color of the cheese. Color is like the smoke ring. It's more of a puff you chest out moment, but doesn't really mean anything when it comes to flavor. I only smoke my cheese for two to three hours and don't get much in the way of color, but I do get all the flavor, and I can basically eat my cheese right off the smoker.

Clean smoke equals clean flavor.

Chris

Chris is right. Has nothing to do with flavor. But it does look nice when you do get it. And if you vac pack them and sit them in the fridge you will notice the color development comes later on. Its a weird thing with cheese.
Check this out

Reactions: jcam222
I agree with the others. Color doesn't matter, only the taste does. I smoke with 1/2 apple and 1/2 cherry wood which seems to give a little more color.

Hi guy's and gals. I'm new to smoking cheese. Iv done it about 4-5 times with mixed results. At first I used an amaze n pellet tube and just a regular grill . my cheese wasn't really taking on that smoked color so I resorted to using 2 pellet tubes and sealing my grill with tin foil. Even still I'm getting some smoke flavor but I'm not getting that nice smoked color. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please give me some advice

Cheese and butter are exceptions when smoking food. Color is not a factor, in fact it's a sign your smoke is too heavy. If your cheese ever warms enough to weep oils, or sink into the grate, then your smoker temp is too high, so keep that in mind too.

Pellet smoke generators will work for cheese, but you would need a huge volume for your smoking chamber and a lot of draft. Sawdust smoke generators work much better, your top vent should look like there are two cigarettes burning inside. Gentle smoke over a long time allow you to sample as you go, and then pull it when it's to your liking. 24 hours of mellowing is advised, but it's still not to strong to sample while smoking. This 30 second video might show what I'm talking about.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I use a tube with pellets with a mix of apply, hickory and cherry for about three hours. Mainly cheddar. I let it sit 10 days to 2 weeks before eating. Seems to let the smoke flavor balance through the cheese. I have found that if you eat it too soon, it is not as good and a bit strong. It freezes really well too and that also helps it mellow. Keep trying and you will enjoy the results.

I am so psyched to inform you guys your tips and advice paid off. I raised my rack with two pieces of wood that I cut tonight at my job, I mixed 2 parts apple pellets to 1 part hickory, I used 2 pounds of mozzarella and tonight's batch came out good!! It's got the color and flavor I was striving for however it got a little hot in the grill. Now I am wondering can I open the cheese I used for my first few unsuccessful times and resmoke it?
0925200126.jpg

Reactions: Liink and smokerjim
what kind of cheese do you smoke. what type pellets ya using, is your cheese dry when your smoking it, how are you venting your grill, are you letting it sit over night uncovered in fridge after you smoke it, not sure if any of these would effect color but we need to start somewhere to see if we can help you.
I use mozzarella, havarti, gouda, cheddar, Colby. I use an apple and hickory blend, I let the cheese get room temp before smoking, I haven't let it sit overnight but I let it cool before vacuum sealing

I don't freeze cheese. I have vacuumed sealed cheese that has been in the fridge for 2 years now. I smoke the cheese for about 3-4 hours. Let it rest overnight before vacuum sealing it.

Reactions: kilo charlie
looks good from here, if your grill is getting to hot is there any way you could up a mailbox mod to it. you could also just cold smoke in a cardboard box if need be.

looks good from here, if your grill is getting to hot is there any way you could up a mailbox mod to it. you could also just cold smoke in a cardboard box if need be.

S StarkOdinson

If you use a carboard box, use a pie tin or something to put your tube in so the smoldering ash has a place to go.

I'm not sure if you had your grill on? Why would it get too hot? the pellets generate very little heat. a foil pan or two filled with ice can also keep whatever chamber you're using cooler. If you get into smoking butter.. DEFINITELY have a colder chamber or wait until cooler fall weather.

For everyone else.. you should be able to eat the cheese right off the smoker.. if you have to let it mellow out in the fridge for weeks you're adding too much smoke in my opinion

yeah ya could eat it right out of the smoker and i have and it's good but like with any smoked meats to me anyway they taste better when they sit a day or two.

I've given cheese a second round on the smoker before, but usually it's with'in a couple of days of the original smoke. I really don't see an issue with resmoking cheese as long as it hasn't gone bad.

Chris

I'm glad you finally got the results your looking for, but I think your living on the edge of a cheese meltdown with the pics in post #10.

Chris

I think you have finally figured it out. I’m in Florida so I can only smoke cheese in the winter, Feb. being the best month. I use one full 12“ tube with apple In my RF offset & put the tube in the firebox, it usually burns for about 3+ hours & gives a nice smoke flavor & color to the cheese. Needless to say I only smoke one batch per year so it is enough to last until the next winter.
Al

S StarkOdinson

If you use a carboard box, use a pie tin or something to put your tube in so the smoldering ash has a place to go.

I'm not sure if you had your grill on? Why would it get too hot? the pellets generate very little heat. a foil pan or two filled with ice can also keep whatever chamber you're using cooler. If you get into smoking butter.. DEFINITELY have a colder chamber or wait until cooler fall weather.

For everyone else.. you should be able to eat the cheese right off the smoker.. if you have to let it mellow out in the fridge for weeks you're adding too much smoke in my opinion
Pellets generate a bit more heat than sawdust, and pellets will color cheese slightly more than sawdust. And I totally agree that cheese should be edible the same day. I hate to read posts where folks say it tastes like an ash tray and must be mellowed for 2 or 3 weeks before eating. I still prefer to mellow it a day or two, then vacuum seal for mine, and zipper seal for friends as they will break into it immediately.

yeah ya could eat it right out of the smoker and i have and it's good but like with any smoked meats to me anyway they taste better when they sit a day or two.
Agreed. In fact I sacrifice one piece for sampling throughout the day of smoking.

I've given cheese a second round on the smoker before, but usually it's with'in a couple of days of the original smoke. I really don't see an issue with resmoking cheese as long as it hasn't gone bad.
Chris
In the late summer I've smoked cheese for 2 hours, then returned to the fridge for 1 hour, then 2 hours back on & 1 hour rest. I'll repeat this until I get the flavor I want.

And yes to a second smoke the next day or so if the flavor is not smoky enough.

I think you have finally figured it out. I’m in Florida so I can only smoke cheese in the winter, Feb. being the best month. I use one full 12“ tube with apple In my RF offset & put the tube in the firebox, it usually burns for about 3+ hours & gives a nice smoke flavor & color to the cheese. Needless to say I only smoke one batch per year so it is enough to last until the next winter.
Al
One of my buddies does the annual smoking event, usually around Thanksgiving. He's got butter on that upper rack.
YMuofZn.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky