Cheese in Venison Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
Hey guys, been a while since ive been on here.

Im going to be making my first batch of venison sticks and i have some of the small cubed high temp cheese. So my question is, since my mix is for 10 lbs of meat (8lbs venison 2 lbs pork fat) Do i take into consideration 1lb of cheese into that 10 lbs or does the amount of cheese not matter? Or do i mix it in after i have mixed my meat and mix together. Im using the Con Yeager snack stick mix.

Thanks guys.

Normally I would not include the Cheese in the calculation, since the cheese is what you're planning to add to the calculated Meat Mixture.
However I don't think it really matters. If you love cheese, go with a little more.

BTW: Good to see you Jason----Any Western PA Rabbits lately?!?!

Bear

Thanks Bear, we unfortunately have been on a rabbit drought. My hunting partner hat neck and back surgery so he has been very limited on hunting, and i worked with my son for squirrels and doves in the fall and ive been chasing deer with the muzzle loader here this month. Hopefully getting back at some rabbits for the last month or so of late season small game.

So your saying go ahead with my 10 lbs of meat and mix and add whatever cheese i want on top of it?

Thanks Bear, we unfortunately have been on a rabbit drought. My hunting partner hat neck and back surgery so he has been very limited on hunting, and i worked with my son for squirrels and doves in the fall and ive been chasing deer with the muzzle loader here this month. Hopefully getting back at some rabbits for the last month or so of late season small game.

So your saying go ahead with my 10 lbs of meat and mix and add whatever cheese i want on top of it?

Well, maybe not all you want, but anywhere between the amount you would add to 9 pounds of meat & the amount you would add to 10 pound of meat should be fine.

Bear

I add one pound to every 5 pounds. Here’s a summer sausage view of that mix.
8776FD3A-DA1D-4529-888E-EA63B090AD8C.jpeg

I add 1/2lb cheese to 5lb of venison/bacon sticks for a finished total weight of roughly 5.5lbs (slightly over due to seasonings, cure, &water but you get the idea) and I’ve been happy with it. For summer sausage I’ll probably do 1lb cheese per 5lbs of meat because I think it looks better.

Edit to add a photo of my last sticks that were 80/20 beef but I did it the same as the venison ones per cheese:

1580358069529.jpeg

I add 1/2lb cheese to 5lb of venison/bacon sticks for a finished total weight of roughly 5.5lbs (slightly over due to seasonings, cure, &water but you get the idea) and I’ve been happy with it. For summer sausage I’ll probably do 1lb cheese per 5lbs of meat because I think it looks better.

Edit to add a photo of my last sticks that were 80/20 beef but I did it the same as the venison ones per cheese:

View attachment 430383

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky