1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cheddar from scratch

Discussion in 'Cheese Making' started by Holly2015, May 14, 2018.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nanuk, morning... I just heard an agreement to TRADE was reached with Canada... "Maybe" prices on dairy will come down for you folks.. Haven't heard the details yet...

2. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I am not sure where your friend ate but i've never seen brekafast price of $25+. 25$ is on the pricey side even for lunch. A brekfast sandwidch at a&w is less than 7$ (with coffee and hashbrowns)

But, yes, food is more expensive here. So are gas, cars, alcohol, smokes and SMOKERS

Looks like they just agreed to drop the dairy tarrifs....i doubt we will see a drop in the price of cheese.

3. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic

There were in Alberta and British Columbia on their way to Prudhoe bay Alaska. I'd have loved to have been riding with them and overpaying along the way.

4. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

You and me both.

5. daveomak

Holly, morning.... I've been reading up on cheddar cheese... I don't understand how "aging" in a vac bag can age / sharpen the flavor... could it be anerobic bacteria ?? Most sites recommend air circulation and humidity control.. It's beyond me how a vac-bag can contribute to proper aging...

6. Holly2015

There are two camps on this:

1. Some say that there is still enough air contained in the cheeses even under vacuum that the maturation process can still take place albeit a bit slower because of the lower temperature.

2. The other camp is this does not work and cheeses can only mature through traditional means. Like waxing or larding/molding then aging at higher temperatures.

What I can tell you is since I do not have a cheese cave .......yet, I am limited to vacuum bagging. I have given away some of the cheeses that were between 90 and 120 days old and the folks who tried them love them. I have sampled several of the cheeses that were in the age range and found them to be somewhat bland but more flavorful than cheeses that were 30 to 45 days old. These pieces were resealed and will let them age a while longer before sampling again.

7. daveomak

When I smoke and store cheeses, I wrap in plastic wrap then vac-seal.. A lot easier to remove from the vac-bag... My "old" vac sealer was the original "Food Saver" Italian model ... It sucked pretty good... My "new" sealer is a vacmaster pro 140... It sucks so well that it has destroyed my vacuum canisters by collapsing and cracking them... STUPID ME... I think there is not much "air" left to any adequate aging.... I'm reluctant to reduce the vacuum as the cheeses "could" mold or somehow go bad, as they would without vacuum sealing...
    It would really tick me off to make cheese and have it come out bland... I'm obviously over thinking all this stuff... but to go to the costs and work I'm expecting a superior product to store bought...
    I have access to Amish dairy products... Their butter is sooooooo darn good.. they sell whole milk also... I can't recall if it's pasteurized but not a problem.. I will pasteurize it prior to use...

Pasteurizing milk is a simple concept: the recommendation is to heat milk to 161 degrees for 15 seconds (please note that this is far gentler than grocery store pasteurized milk, which is heated to nearly 300 degrees!) or to 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

I'm thinking the lower temp for a longer period would produce a better final product...
    http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-milk-news/story/how-to-pasteurize-raw-milk-at-home/

I would set up a double boiler, type thing, using my sous-vide...

I think I may wrap the cheese in Tyvek... Food and medical grade... I plan on doing some charcuterie, using it also..
    Tyvek ® used in sterile medical device packaging and in direct food contact applications are neither corona nor antistatic treated. These products end in the letter B, such as Tyvek ®1059B.

outstanding resistance to microbial penetration In test after test, Tyvek®held out bacterial spores and test particles better than other porous packaging materials—even under the most rigorous conditions .
    What’s more, a long-term shelf-life study proved conclusively that Tyvek® can maintain sterility for at
    least five years if package integrity is not compromised .
    The photomicrographs shown here illustrate how bacteria are trapped on the fiber surfaces of Tyvek®

http://www2.dupont.com/Medical_Packaging/fr_FR/assets/downloads/DMP903_Tech_Services_Manual_rd01.pdf

8. Holly2015

I can only say I personally think the cheese is bland too date. As time goes on I am hoping that the flavor develops more to my liking but even if it doesn't nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Actually even if none of the cheese's turn out to my liking I'd not be unhappy and will continue to happily make more. It's not always about the end product it's about spending 8 or so hours with my daughter, spouse and sometimes friends listening to music and talking on a level we don't get to do so often enough. That is by far superior to anything store bought. If the cheese comes out tasty that's just a little bonus.

bbqbrett likes this.
  9. daveomak

1 thumbs up.jpg