Cheap electric smoker control - Analog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those dimmers would work great.  From what I have looked at they are more than building a PID controller, but hit up Dave I bet he would know best where to get them.

I agree with the thought that those chinese SCR's are going to need cooling.  Likely want to mount it in a suitable electrical box and add a cooling fan to it since you will be running it hours on end.  Oh and put it somewhere safe when you use it the first 5-10 times, you really need to get comfortable with anything you use.  

as far as those items you listed from amazon I would just pick up the one with the best rating.  

Last edited:
To provide some clarity about the dimmer switch... It doesn't control the temperature... It adjusts the heat like you would on a gas burner... As the smoker temp and meat temp rises, the dimmer needs to be turned to a lower setting to maintain a desired temperature...
The temperature rise, at the start, is really slow and easy to adjust...

Here is the incandescent Dimmer Switch I used.... 1500 watt.... been in use for over 4 years...

Thank you Dave. Can you elaborate on what you all needed for this and what electric element/smoker you use this with? Thanks
Dave has it covered. Cheap reliable. I have an electric with a "frypan" adjustable control. It needs constant attention. Will replace it with a PID when it burns out. Let your buddy know this, maybe he'll want to spend the $$ for a PID.

RG
RG, can you elaborate on your setup? I am assuming your "electric with a "frypan" adjustable control" is similar to the 2 I posted above?

What I am looking for is either: A) add a way to control the stock 1500 watt element in my E-ECB, or B) replace the stock element with one that already has some sort of control.

I want this to be fairly simple to assemble and set up, and I would like it to be fairly inexpensive.

These are the options I have heard of or come up with:

1)  PID - build one with help, or buy a plug and play - more money than I really want to spend - best results?

2)  Analog dial control that this thread started about(Punter, sorry for hijacking) - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?

3)  Dial dimmer switch - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?

4)  Adjustable replacement element - simple replacement - $30 to $40 - results?

5)  Give up on control and just use E-ECB as is - no work - no money - good Q

6) Someday....get a nice electric smoker that doesn't really need mods.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Link to my thread so I can stop hijacking this one!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/236596/pid-advice-and-help

Sorry again Punter!!! If the PID wins out, but I don't think it will 
th_crybaby2.gif
 I will be back for your help!

***edit***

What temperature range is everyone able to achieve with their different setups? Please list control unit, electric element/smoker, and temps for comparison. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Thank you Dave. Can you elaborate on what you all needed for this and what electric element/smoker you use this with? Thanks

RG, can you elaborate on your setup? I am assuming your "electric with a "frypan" adjustable control" is similar to the 2 I posted above?

What I am looking for is either: A) add a way to control the stock 1500 watt element in my E-ECB, or B) replace the stock element with one that already has some sort of control.

I want this to be fairly simple to assemble and set up, and I would like it to be fairly inexpensive.

These are the options I have heard of or come up with:

1)  PID - build one with help, or buy a plug and play - more money than I really want to spend - best results?

2)  Analog dial control that this thread started about(Punter, sorry for hijacking) - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?

3)  Dial dimmer switch - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?

4)  Adjustable replacement element - simple replacement - $30 to $40 - results?

5)  Give up on control and just use E-ECB as is - no work - no money - good Q

6) Someday....get a nice electric smoker that doesn't really need mods.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Link to my thread so I can stop hijacking this one!

Sorry again Punter!!! If the PID wins out, but I don't think it will 
th_crybaby2.gif
 I will be back for your help!

***edit***

What temperature range is everyone able to achieve with their different setups? Please list control unit, electric element/smoker, and temps for comparison. Thank you!!
no worries I got what I needed out of it, it is all yours!  

Options 2-3-4 are basically the same.  Use an analog dial (dimmer/pwm/etc) to power the element. 

Option 6 - You can make that sucker into a great smoker.  Add some thermal mass (bricks/sand) to that thing and it will really even out the temps.  My smoker is just a big clay flower pot with a 1000W element and a pid it works great.  I attached a motivational picture, maybe it'll help you get it wrapped up and rolling!  

no worries I got what I needed out of it, it is all yours!  

Options 2-3-4 are basically the same.  Use an analog dial (dimmer/pwm/etc) to power the element. 

Option 6 - You can make that sucker into a great smoker.  Add some thermal mass (bricks/sand) to that thing and it will really even out the temps.  My smoker is just a big clay flower pot with a 1000W element and a pid it works great.  I attached a motivational picture, maybe it'll help you get it wrapped up and rolling!  

That is some great motivation, and I am very impressed with your flower pot smoker!

I am thinking option 4. That is that one I keep coming back to after getting more help and advice on other options. It's simple and it should do what I need it to. Might take more practice and time/monitoring but that just means I get to spend more time smoking!

Like I said before though, if the PID is in my future I will be back! We will just have to see where this modding adventure takes me and how far and crazy I go!

Thanks! 
I put together a tutorial on "HOW TO" but I can't find it right now... This mod allows you to use all the electronics in the smoker... It only adjusts the heat output of the heating element... Timers still work etc.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ne...&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ne...rch=dimmer&sort=relevance&titleonly=0&type=61
Dave, that sir is very impressive! Most of it is above my understanding on how to use it and why it works, but I totally get what it does and that it does work very well!

I think I will be going another route though. A little more indepth than I am wanting and possibly more money too. Thank you those for sharing and great work!

I know, I know, I keep changing my mind…..ugh. I am going with a PID. (your option 6 of making it a great smoker) This is my final decision! Dward51 talked me into it, and it wasn’t even that hard lol. He made some really good points on my other thread. Now I am just trying to decide if I want to build or buy.

Could I please get you to jump over there with all your knowledge and help? That way I have all my PID info in one thread that is actually about PID help. Also if anyone does a search looking for PID info it will be in the right place.

I am going to need to pick your brain and have you walk me through this if I do a build. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky