CharGriller temp indication problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

partyranch

Original poster
May 28, 2014
The temp indication on my chargriller pellet smoker started behaving irratically about a month after I bought it. It would bounce around and always indicate higher than the actual temp. I could use it but it required constant attention. I complained to customer service and they sent a new temp probe (RTD?). While replacing the probe, I noticed that the unshielded probe leads passed within 1/2 inch of the fan and the igniter wires. I shielded the leads by wrapping aluminum foil around them. The smoker temp indication is now stable and within 5 degrees of the temp indicated on my Maverick remote indicator.

I've always loved my chargriller smoker but now my wife can't get me to not cook something every day. :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
The temp indication on my chargriller pellet smoker started behaving irratically about a month after I bought it. It would bounce around and always indicate higher than the actual temp. I could use it but it required constant attention. I complained to customer service and they sent a new temp probe (RTD?). While replacing the probe, I noticed that the unshielded probe leads passed within 1/2 inch of the fan and the igniter wires. I shielded the leads by wrapping aluminum foil around them. The smoker temp indication is now stable and within 5 degrees of the temp indicated on my Maverick remote indicator.

I've always loved my chargriller smoker but now my wife can't get me to not cook something every day.
grilling_smilie.gif
Good observation on the probe lead location, and getting it functioning correctly. Sometimes a little ingenuity goes a long way.

She wants you to cook every day? You're working, right? OK, if you want to slip a smoke in after work, try the reverse sear method. I use a smoke for a shorter period, say 30-45 minutes of cold or warm smoke...ambient temp up to around 125*...yes, it's safe with uncured meats if you get the internal temps up relatively quickly after the shorter smoke...that's where the sear comes into play. I've even tried a shorter hot smoke when in a tight pinch for time, then seared (gives a bit less smoke flavor due to the shorter time in the smoke). Chicken pieces/quarters, pork chops/shoulder steaks, beef steaks, burgers, country-style sausages, brats/hot dogs are all great items for a quick smoke and sear. I don't do it much lately, but even with working 60-70hrs/week, I can make time for a reverse sear after work, when I want to.

BTW, if you've never tried them yet (and can find them in your area), beef Tri Tips are a GREAT subject for reverse sear.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky