Charcoal smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinsmoker23

Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hey everyone,
Been a while since I been on here. So anyway I'm not anywhere near a pro at smoking but I do pretty good with flavor and all. My question is is there something I can put in with charcoal like hot rocks or something to help keep heat up without using a bag n a half of charcoal just to keep temp where I want it?
I use the vent n all but I really haven't mastered it. How also to make my wood chunks last (smoke) a bit longer?
I uploaded a pic of my smoker if it helps.
Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_120230.jpg
    IMG_20180209_120230.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 68
My smoker is metal and it has pretty good thickness to it, not super thick. Need to research about hot rocks or something that will help with heat but I hear what ur saying about insulation.

I didn't read thru the whole thread , but know there are good points given above about insulation , but looks like I saw a bag of Kingsford in a pic . Start by using better charcoal and see where that gets you . Try Royal Oak products . I bet it makes a difference .

Very informative information. What kind of insulation do I need or recommend to look for that's not to expensive.

Last edited:
Can I cover firebox as well considering it probably 4 times hotter then cooking chamber?

Can you fit fire brick into your side box and line the bottom of the vertical chamber with it to hold more heat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky