Charcoal S baskets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DoubleBull

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
I am currently considering several pellet smokers as well as a Lone Star Grillz 20X42 offset. I am really only interested though in the stick burner if the charcoal s basket can achieve any where close to the stated 8 to 12 hour burn time. Been smoking on a couple of WSM's for years now and want more convenience.
Will not mind tending fire with splits on occasion and yes I know the end product is better off a stick burner in the right hands. But at 58 I don't want to set up all night baby sitting a smoker unless I am REAL inspired! LOL. Does any one have experience with the charcoal baskets with the baffles? To me the 8 to 12 hour burn sounds to good to be true. I am willing to be wrong though as that looks like a sweet pit.

Although I am still interested in an opinion on this matter I have committed my mind anyway if not yet my wallet on a good pellet smoker.

Anyone use these LSG s baskets? Thinking about giving one a shot for those overnight brisket cooks

Anyone use these LSG s baskets? Thinking about giving one a shot for those overnight brisket cooks
I got one with my LSG 20x36. Used it once. It was the second cook on the 20x36 and I used lump charcoal. Mistake, burned way too hot. Kinda bent the baffles. Now I just get up around 5. Start the fire and go prep the brisket. Hour later it's good to go and toss a split every 45 minutes to an hour. Cooking at a higher temp 250-275 the brisket is done in 8 hours. No all nighter needed. I do use the fire management basket. That is a must for me. Keeps the fire right and tight. So I would not recommend the charcoal basket.

Got it, thanks for the response. Curious if temps wouldn’t run away as much on a 24x48 cooker

Got it, thanks for the response. Curious if temps wouldn’t run away as much on a 24x48 cooker
The temp was fine on the s-basket. The lump charcoal burned too fast. Didn't get the 8-12 hours I was looking for. Restaurant sized or mini splits work the best on my 20X36. The LSG runs like a dream when at temp. 250-275 is the wheelhouse for my smoker. Outstanding food is always the outcome.

I’m sure it’s an awesome cooker, I gave a ton of respect for LSG
The temp was fine on the s-basket. The lump charcoal burned too fast. Didn't get the 8-12 hours I was looking for. Restaurant sized or mini splits work the best on my 20X36. The LSG runs like a dream when at temp. 250-275 is the wheelhouse for my smoker. Outstanding food is always the outcome.

Reactions: MadMax281
I have the 24 x 48 LSG. It loves to run around 250-275 with a split about every 45 minutes. I almost ordered the charcoal basket it, but when I watched the YouTube videos about it, I thought it might be a waste of money. I may still order it to give it a shot.

I am using a standard charcoal basket with the minion method for the charcoal - I maintain a good 250 - 275 range depending on the weather for about 8ish hours in the Char-Griller Texas Trio model.. not familiar with an S-Basket? would it make a fuel usage diffrence?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky