Charcoal/Lump Basket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slomike

Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Falls Church, Virginia
I want to construct a charcoal basket for my offset, but how much room should I try and leave between the bottom of the basket and the firebox floor for ashes to accumulate. I assume that it would just sit on the existing grate--is this right--or should I have more elevation? Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question but I am fairly new to smoking. Thanks.

If you're going to fabricate your own charcoal basket then you might want to also make a removable ash tray to catch ash so you can remove them during a cook. Or you could make a rake to pull the ashes out. In either case your clearance would then be determined buy the ash removal instrument you choose. Ash build-up would no longer be the issue.

If you choose to allow ash to accumulate, keep in mind that the higher you raise the fire the closer it is to the top of the firebox. The fire will burn the paint which creates higher maintenance (like painting or oiling the outside of the firebox).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky