Charcoal Chimneys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Besides, how can you not love this face? This is Brahms. If you meet him, he will claim to be the official Smoke/BBQ taste tester, but he lies. Just so you know.

View attachment 634042
Here's my two testers, and they ain't any better.

1654647759806.png

Thinking you need some kind of non-combustible mat underneath the BGE then... Especially under the firebox door area ...
Thanks…I’ve had one (two overlapped) from the beginning. It’s the chimney, not the BGE. Those embers can have a mind of their own when I empty the chimney into the egg. Maybe it’s just the way I use (misuse?) it.

We have a stone patio which would solve that issue, but it’s not very level. I think I may just try a butane torch. The one I have is really meant for soldering (it’s a Dremel Soldering torch), so I may just get a proper BBQ torch and try that.

I have some cheap, old chimney starter. Works great. Last year during my over thinking period lol, I did buy a weed torch, but I was just using it to avoid charcoal. It took forever though to get splits ignited and burning. Maybe I was doing it wrong and should have been using it to light charcoals. That wasn't what I thought people were doing with a weed torch, however.

I am back to under thinking and making better brisket again.

Thanks…I’ve had one (two overlapped) from the beginning. It’s the chimney, not the BGE. Those embers can have a mind of their own when I empty the chimney into the egg. Maybe it’s just the way I use (misuse?) it.

We have a stone patio which would solve that issue, but it’s not very level. I think I may just try a butane torch. The one I have is really meant for soldering (it’s a Dremel Soldering torch), so I may just get a proper BBQ torch and try that.
I ended up buying the JJGeorge Grill Torch Charcoal Starter from Amzon and a box of Tumbleweed starters. This works much better and faster for than using a chimney starter.

There's nothing wrong with the Weber chimney. They wear out like anything else. Buy whatever chimney. It's just a tube that holds charcoal. If it doesn't work well, drill some additional holes in it. People worry about their gear too much. I don't even use a chimney much anymore. Oil soaked paper towel and some wood chips gets the job done. Chimney is only needed for high heat.

I ended up buying the JJGeorge Grill Torch Charcoal Starter from Amzon and a box of Tumbleweed starters. This works much better and faster for than using a chimney starter.
Now that I have used the torch for several months, I think it’s a far better solution than a chimney. It’s been brilliant. No fuss, easy and faster to get started, and no escaped burning embers to worry about. I don’t think I’ll ever use a chimney again.

I once had the chance to compare a Weber and some random brand, no idea who's. Same charcoal, both used one parrafin starter cube. We used a laser temp gun, the Weber was ready 10 minutes before the off brand. Mine is 12 years old, never any issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky