Charbroil Silver Smoker - Propane Burner Addition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemaster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Germany
I'd been thinking about adding a propane burner to my smoker. Looked at the Afterburner, but the shipping was too much to Germany. Decided to use a turkey fryer burner instead. I used a pie pan as a base. The grill is great to hold my wood chip box.

Giving it a try tomorrow. 2 racks of baby backs and 2 boston butts.

Sounds like a solid plan!
wink.gif

Meat came out great. Cooked the butt to an internal of 200F, let rest 1 hour and pulled. The ribs were too tender. I used the 3-2-1 method. I'll do 3-1-1 next time.

Nothing like a fresh Brötchen (German for roll) to make a pulled pork sandwich. Topped with a little of the Southern Succor rub and Carolina Red sauce.

Happy New Year!

Köstlich or lecker.

Cheech,
I can remove the burner in 2 minutes. Haven't changed anything in the firebox, nothing is permanent. The stainless steel hose is outside the firebox. I just disconnect from the tank and feed the hose through the vent and remove the burner and hose.

I have a New Braunfels that has a hole for a gas assist burner on the back of the firebox. When I was doing my mods I put a cover plate over it. I downloaded a manual for a Char-Broil Silver Smoker and it showed it but no instructions for a burner assembly, but it should be an easy mod. I thought it was a vent or drain hole and posted a question regarding it and a few Silver Smoker owners had it and others had a firebox without it . How are the temps in the cook chamber?

I've got the hole in my firebox also. It was designed for the Diamond Fire ignitor. I think it is a log lighter. See attached pic.

The burner worked fine. Used 1/4 of a tank of propane, the outside temp was in the 30's. Temp control was great. Steady 230F. Really easy to adjust the temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky