Charbroil Silver Smoker - Propane Burner Addition

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by smokemaster, Dec 29, 2006.

1. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

I'd been thinking about adding a propane burner to my smoker. Looked at the Afterburner, but the shipping was too much to Germany. Decided to use a turkey fryer burner instead. I used a pie pan as a base. The grill is great to hold my wood chip box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giving it a try tomorrow. 2 racks of baby backs and 2 boston butts.
    [​IMG]

2. Sounds like a solid plan! [​IMG]

3. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

Meat came out great. Cooked the butt to an internal of 200F, let rest 1 hour and pulled. The ribs were too tender. I used the 3-2-1 method. I'll do 3-1-1 next time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing like a fresh Brötchen (German for roll) to make a pulled pork sandwich. Topped with a little of the Southern Succor rub and Carolina Red sauce.
    [​IMG]

Happy New Year!

4. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

So you added a turkey burner to your side burner and now you no longer have a wood burner

5. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

Köstlich or lecker.

Cheech,
    I can remove the burner in 2 minutes. Haven't changed anything in the firebox, nothing is permanent. The stainless steel hose is outside the firebox. I just disconnect from the tank and feed the hose through the vent and remove the burner and hose.

6. swamprb

swamprb Fire Starter

I have a New Braunfels that has a hole for a gas assist burner on the back of the firebox. When I was doing my mods I put a cover plate over it. I downloaded a manual for a Char-Broil Silver Smoker and it showed it but no instructions for a burner assembly, but it should be an easy mod. I thought it was a vent or drain hole and posted a question regarding it and a few Silver Smoker owners had it and others had a firebox without it . How are the temps in the cook chamber?

7. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

I've got the hole in my firebox also. It was designed for the Diamond Fire ignitor. I think it is a log lighter. See attached pic.

The burner worked fine. Used 1/4 of a tank of propane, the outside temp was in the 30's. Temp control was great. Steady 230F. Really easy to adjust the temps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]