Char Grilled Offset problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqjustin

Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
So I have a cheap char grilled offset drum smoker I guess would be a good classification. My main issue is I don't feel my fire gets adequate oxygen therefore always smothers out. I keep a fan blowing into the fire to keep it going. Has any chopped up their firebox in order to allow more airflow, or have any other ideas as to fix this issue?

No it came with a fire box, i have only added a couple mods to it. Extra thermos, longer stack and extended stack down to grates.

It does not look like your picture. I have not done much other then adding thermos and extending the smoke stack. The firebox came with the smoker, i did not decide to just add it. In all honesty its a very poor design for a smoker, but its what i have to work with lol.

It does not look like your picture. I have not done much other then adding thermos and extending the smoke stack. The firebox came with the smoker, i did not decide to just add it. In all honesty its a very poor design for a smoker, but its what i have to work with lol.
I used one for years until it rusted out. I had more problems keeping it cool. The firebox should leak enough that you should only have to crack your damper..

Hmmm.. Sounds like you're getting enough air in, but not enough out. 

Can you post up a bunch of pics from different angles, doors open / closed, etc? That would help us help you.

Why did you extend the stack? 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky