Cedar wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

christophcbv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I have done a few projects with untreated cedar from Home Hardware and have a lot of end pieces and shavings that I was thinking of using in the smoker in the chip tray. However I have read different opinions on this throughout.

What are the thoughts of the fine people in this forum? Any help ans info is appreciated.

Chris

I’ve never seen Cedar chips, chunks or pellets for sale so I would think it’s not a suitable wood for smoking. To my knowledge coniferous trees aren’t suitable for smoking

Reactions: phatbac
There are A LOT more folks that say Don't Smoke with Cedar, than those that back using it. Do you know the Type? Example, Eastern Red Cedar is Toxic! Google Smoking Meat with Cedar. There is not much good said about the result...JJ

Reactions: Millberry
My opinion on why coniferous is not good for smoking is due to the sap. Sappy wood is super bitter and smells burnt. If that's your bag, go at it!
Some guys I know like to order their steaks Pittsburgh style (essentially rare inside, total char on the outside). Disgusting, all you taste is char; well past the Maillard Reaction. So it really depends on your taste...

Reactions: Millberry
Aromatic Cedar is the best smelling wood there is. IMHO
I used to line closets with it, and it would make the whole room smell good.
When the smell would go away, all I had to do was hit it with some sandpaper to bring it back.
However I wouldn't trust any species of Cedar for Smoking anything.

Bear

I agree that cedar is not a good smoking wood. Juniper on the other hand, is used sparingly to smoke black forest ham as well as some Northern Italian smoke salamis like Ciauscolo...

Last edited:
There too many good smoking woods that are available by the bag and any big box hardware that are relatively cheap and good. I don't think I have ever heard of using cedar. Free is always not the best choice. Just my humble opinion.

They sell cedar grilling 'wraps' and grilling planks but when I use this technique I buy apple or hickory planks. I don't like the smell of pine or cedar for smoking, especially on seafood..... Our mountains are full of aspen, pine, and spruce and when camping we burn down pine and separate the coals for a cooking fire.
TkIqwpe.jpg
hkudl3p.jpg

I mis-spoke, I have alder and hickory. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse, a 3-pack was $6 and they were made by the folks that now make Big Chief smokers. THIS place has a huge selection.

Multi-task alert: I have four that I use when gifting a side of smoked steelhead or salmon. The plank prevents the vacuum from crushing the fish and you can transport with ease.... AND it's is a perfect cutting and serving board.
Xwnh8kI.jpg
6d3plxq.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky