Caveman Style- Prime Fillet/Ribeye Cook - Lots'o'pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Down South
Raws: Start off with some very fine USDA Prime steaks.

Raws from one of the best marbled steaks I've seen in person - this is my birthday steak for next month.

All S&P'd up:

Closeup:

On the stupid-hot fire, millimeters from the coals. I placed a small cooking grate right on top of the coals. This is, hands down, the best way to cook steak. If you haven't tried it, you guys should!!

Finished:

Notice the spianlis (ribeye cap) melting off the back of the steak? mmMmM - this IS the best part of eating meat. As tender as tenderloin, with nearly twice the flavor of a ribeye.

Closeup:

This is more red in person, I guess with inadequate lighting and very little experience with a camera, this was the best I could do. IT is 134*.

And my portion: The spinalis (ribeye cap), piece of ribeye and piece of fillet. This was just a small sampler of meat - and no need for a 12oz or larger portion size. I was full! I shared these two steaks with my parents, who love steak but can't eat a lot of it, so it feed us three, comfortably.

Thanks for looking - I had a blast, and absolutely love cooking on the coals. Some pictures didn't turn out well, so they were deleted. This is the first time I was able to produce mediocre quality photo's.

Steaks were bought from "Steaks by Chuck" an online shop. Chuck, fixed me up with some killer steaks! :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
Looks awesome but where's mine
drool.gif

[quote name="Pineywoods" url="/forum/thread/104408/caveman-style-prime-fillet-ribeye-cook-lots-o-pics#post_606300"]
Looks awesome but where's mine
drool.gif

[/quote]

If the FL gathering were a week earlier or later, I'd be more than happy to cook ya up some of this lovely grub. :grilling_smilie:

[quote name="tyotrain" url="/forum/thread/104408/caveman-style-prime-fillet-ribeye-cook-lots-o-pics#post_606428"]
Real nice job bet it was tasty
[/quote]

Yessir! Not sure if I can afford a couple Wagyu steaks or not - that probably is the pinnacle of steaks, if cooked right. :grilling_smilie:

Nevertheless, we had a fantastic meal and the steaks were oh-so-good.

[quote name="rp RibKing" url="/forum/thread/104408/caveman-style-prime-fillet-ribeye-cook-lots-o-pics#post_606570"]
Bob, 

About 2 minutes or so on each side? I like the idea, right on the over coals on the grate. The steaks look rather Awesome.
points.gif
points.gif

[/quote]

Well - maybe.

I am a firm believer of more turning/flipping when grilling. I cooked the ribeye 25 seconds per side, 4 flippings. Finished with 20 seconds per side, flip once.

Looks kinda like this:

25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 20 sec - flip - 20 sec - done

The filet was about 4-6 more flips.

The theory, is that when all the juices start dripping, you want to flip, to keep the juices inside the meat. Works for me, and not only does it work on steaks, it works well for super-juicy burgers, chicken, pork, etc. :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
Those look amazing.  Costco actually had Prime Grade Ribeyes in the case this week and I should have picked some up cuz, now they are gone... 

They look great.

[quote name="Smokey Mo" url="/forum/thread/104408/caveman-style-prime-fillet-ribeye-cook-lots-o-pics#post_606695"]
Those look amazing.  Costco actually had Prime Grade Ribeyes in the case this week and I should have picked some up cuz, now they are gone... 

They look great.

[/quote]

Costco is a good source for Prime, for the price. I have a couple pounds left in my freezer, but I wanted to try something better - or even higher quality, since my birthday is right around the corner. This was just a 12oz ribeye, so it was on the smaller size for ribeyes.

The thing about the two local Costco's, is quality varies so much from week to week. For instance sometimes, they were charging Prime prices for what appears to be Choice, and I've seen some Choice, that could pass for Prime. I was looking for a more consistent source, and I think I found one, abet more expensive.

Anywho, I hope you can get back there and get your hands on some of the beef. :grilling_smilie:

Well - maybe.

I am a firm believer of more turning/flipping when grilling. I cooked the ribeye 25 seconds per side, 4 flippings. Finished with 20 seconds per side, flip once.

Looks kinda like this:

25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 25 sec - flip - 20 sec - flip - 20 sec - done

The filet was about 4-6 more flips.

The theory, is that when all the juices start dripping, you want to flip, to keep the juices inside the meat. Works for me, and not only does it work on steaks, it works well for super-juicy burgers, chicken, pork, etc.
grilling_smilie.gif
That's funny---That's the way I do them, with the multiple flips.

I had so many people tell me that's wrong, you should only flip once.

Too bad---I still do them that way!

At least I now know I'm not alone!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky