Catfish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Went with that Catfish guide Friday. Did not catch any monsters but got some good eating size and learned how to drift fish. Was a fun day. Fish is really mild. I dont mind a little game taste in wild stuff. Will Blacken next batch.

Resized_20221001_164456.jpeg.jpg
20220930_083218.jpg 20220930_130634.jpg

Love me some catfish. I like the big ones and cut into 1" thick steaks. Flavor and texture to a whole other level. YMMV

Rick

Drift fishing is a whole new animal. I used to use my trolling motor for a controlled drift up and down this stream channel in a little cove targeting blues. That was where I caught my biggest channel cats. I never had any luck catching flatties drifting, but caught blues by the ton. I gave up on it when I gave up on blue cat fishing.

Use paracord (large diameter) and #4 buck for your slinky weights. Pretty easy to make and your initial investment on shot and cord will pay for itself with the first 50 you make.

What kind of cats are those? It sure looks like a fun day and you got a few meals worth of fish. Great job, looks awesome!

Looks like a good day on the water, Brian. Now you've learned maybe a trick or 2 and a place or 2 that will help you in your pursuit of catfish. Put it into practice on your boat and soon you'll be hammering the big cats. Good luck and catch 'em up...

That looks like a nice mess of good eatin' sized channel catfish. Well done!

I'm headed out with my two sons-in-law and a guide in a couple weeks. We'll be trying to catch a mess of slab crappies. I'm anxiously anticipating a plate of fish like yours!

Looks like some good eats Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

Those are the perfect size in my opinion . Nice haul and great looking plate .

Love me some catfish. I like the big ones and cut into 1" thick steaks. Flavor and texture to a whole other level. YMMV

Rick
Will have to try
Drift fishing is a whole new animal. I used to use my trolling motor for a controlled drift up and down this stream channel in a little cove targeting blues. That was where I caught my biggest channel cats. I never had any luck catching flatties drifting, but caught blues by the ton. I gave up on it when I gave up on blue cat fishing.

Use paracord (large diameter) and #4 buck for your slinky weights. Pretty easy to make and your initial investment on shot and cord will pay for itself with the first 50 you make.
I on the Dam end of the lake and is very deep. I going to have to do some checking to find spot. We and others from what I hear was fishing 30'. Closer to 80 around most the dam side.
What kind of cats are those? It sure looks like a fun day and you got a few meals worth of fish. Great job, looks awesome!
Beautiful Blues.
Nice score Brian

Sounds like a real fun time! Nice looking fish!

Looks like a good day on the water, Brian. Now you've learned maybe a trick or 2 and a place or 2 that will help you in your pursuit of catfish. Put it into practice on your boat and soon you'll be hammering the big cats. Good luck and catch 'em up...
Thanks
That looks like a nice mess of good eatin' sized channel catfish. Well done!

I'm headed out with my two sons-in-law and a guide in a couple weeks. We'll be trying to catch a mess of slab crappies. I'm anxiously anticipating a plate of fish like yours!
These where Blues. Crappie next on my list to learn after I figure out this catfish thing.
Looks like some good eats Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

Those are the perfect size in my opinion . Nice haul and great looking plate .

Bigger than any fish I ever caught, that's for sure!

Man that would be a blast. I love catching and eating catfish.
Thanks.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
Will have to try
For sure! My Dad introduced me to catfish steaks when I was a young adult, and I will never forget the flavor. He got them frozen at Safeway I think. They were very large in circumference, and about 1” thick. These were surely big river cats; I think they were imported from Brazil. Simply breaded and fried, they were outstanding!

I have since tried to recreate that experience, but I am limited on where to acquire the steaks. I don’t know any fishermen that fishes for Cats, so it’s pretty much what the local markets have. Some places have live fish, but they are on the small side. But even with those it’s a pretty tasty feast.

Rick

Went with that Catfish guide Friday. Did not catch any monsters but got some good eating size and learned how to drift fish. Was a fun day. Fish is really mild. I dont mind a little game taste in wild stuff. Will Blacken next batch.

View attachment 644979
View attachment 644978View attachment 644977

Oh man what a great haul!!!
My favorite way to eat catfish is for them to be gutted & skinned, cut the head off. Then cut in half, bread and fry!!!
Something about the flavor done that way is sooooo much better than just fried fillets. I guess the bones give extra flavor, not sure but damn they are good!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky