Catering amounts help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I have volunteered to cook for my inlaws 40th wedding anniversary this weekend.  My plan was to do pulled pork and beef.  There should be 45-50 people attending.  I am planning for 1lb of uncooked meat per person as I have read in a few other posts.  I will also have potato salad, baked beans and coleslaw.  My question is how much coleslaw, beans and potato salad do I

provide.  I have cooked for large crowds before but never this many and never such an important event.  I always have a fear of not having enough food! 
help.gif
 any suggestions?

Thanks!!

This is ALWAYS a tough one.  The meat ratio will be fine since the men might eat a little more and the ladies might eat a little less.  You should have a small amount left over.  I usually figure a pound of tater salad will feed 4 people (maybe) so I usually provide 1 pound of sides per 3 people.  I always say if you leave my BBQ hungry it's your fault.  I know I over cook but heaven forbid I run outta food.  I can't think of anything worse.  I once went to a party and all the portions were weighed out, ie: 1/2 ear of corn per person.  Had to go home and eat a sandwich.  We have many professional chefs here and maybe they will weigh in soon with better suggestions.  That's the way I do it.  Hope it helps.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

for potato salad and coleslaw my catering info states 4 oz. portion per person. as 4 oz. is standard for most sides

theres a catering guide in here somwhere, or maybe it was before the crash many years ago. I have it in my downloads and refer to that when help is needed. if you see Dutch on he is a good one to ask also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky