Casual smoker... Advice on GMG DB?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benhar

Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Hi,

Just joined up hoping to get some advice on a smoker. After realizing I don't like babysitting and fighting my Weber Kettle (with a Slow n Sear), I want something to set and forget for smoking. I'm close to getting a GMG Daniel Boone, but after reading about hot spots, combined with a shutdown process that I hope is less complicated than the salesman made it sound, I'm concerned it might not be as "easy" as I thought. All in all, how much easier is the GMG to use than a Big Green Egg or Big Steel Keg? I'd be a very casual user, and would also like to be able to smoke without feeling tied to the house (hence the appeal of the GMG WiFi).

Thanks for any help!

I had a GMG Daniel Boone for 4-5 years. I gave it to my son cause I bought a RecTec. The salesman must be a greenhorn on smoking with pellet grills.
They are easy peasy to use;)
Keep the fire box clean, keep the drip pan clean and keep it from running out of pellets and you’ll be a pro in no time:cool:
I bought mine before WiFi was available but I have friends the have a GMG with WiFi and they love theirs.

Easy is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that). A Pellet smoker can certainly be less "work" than charcoal. However the closest to the "set and forget" ideal would be an electric smoker IMO. That said everything is a compromise. It really boils down to personal preference. I've used all three as well as a propane Smoker and for me the pellet smokers are the best compromise of ease of use and great taste.

I agree with the comments thus far, but what type of problems are you having with the Weber + Slow N Sear? It does take some practice to use but once you've learned it (take notes each time) it's pretty stable. I've got a Memphis pellet cooker but still like to use the Slow N Sear when I want more charcoal + smoke flavor.

Thanks for the advice so far!

My problem with my current setup is more a user issue than equipment issue. When I smoke I spend a lot of time trying to keep the temps in range, even after reading online about all the tips and tricks. Toward the end I’m struggling to keep it hot enough. And I don’t do it enough to have good “feel” to be able to stay as hands-off as experienced users. As such I often end up not smoking at all just because I know I’m not going to be able to tend the smoker as often as my low skill dictates. That brings in the Catch 22 of it.

I also like the idea of starting the smoke at night before bed and sticking the meat in a cooler the next day. Don’t have near the comfort level with the Weber that I need to do that.

Was thinking to go ahead and pick up the GMG tomorrow, but my buddy has me second guessing at the last minute. He has a BGE and loves it.

Bottom line, which type of smoker is better for set and forget, to the point I can be comfortable setting it and going to bed for the night?

Also, I heard in high humidity areas, the pellets have to be emptied out if the grill isn’t used for more than a week or so. Is that true? I’m in GA, so the high humidity definitely applies.

Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide while the Fathers Day sales are still good.

One more thing... just added the Rec Tec to my consideration. Didn’t realize they are here in Augusta, 5 minutes from my house! Had no clue, but now I’m eyeing the Trailblazer real hard.

Last edited:
I got my pellet smoker for the same reasons you are considering getting one. My first smoker was an inexpensive offset smoker from a big box store. I couldn’t control the temps very well, the paint peeled, and it rusted. Then I purchased an inexpensive vertical propane smoke. It was only slightly better. The temps would swing whenever the wind was blowing and I could not get it to go over 300 degrees. I didn’t have the time to babysit a smoker to control the temperature and therefore I did not cook much on a smoker because it was such a pain and time consuming.

I bought a Grilla Grills Silverbac about a year ago and I have been very pleased with it. It's so easy to use. Add pellets to the hopper when needed and set the temp. That's pretty much it. Now I smoke something at least once a month if not two or three times per month. This past winter I was smoking when the early morning temps outside were in the upper teens and low 20's without needing a blanket for the smoker. I clean out the smoker after about 20 hours or so of smoke time.

I live in a southern Virginia on the state line with North Carolina so we have high humidity here as well. I never had problems with leaving pellets in the hopper. But my smoker is on a covered carport and I have cover for the smoker that I always use.

If I had it to do over again I would not hesitate getting a good quality pellet smoker again. It was just the ticket for me.

One more thing... just added the Rec Tec to my consideration. Didn’t realize they are here in Augusta, 5 minutes from my house! Had no clue, but now I’m eyeing the Trailblazer real hard.
Wow! Nice with RecTec that close I wouldn’t consider any other brand. If you need support in the future you don’t have far to go.

Well, I came home with a Trailblazer! Was concerned about size before realizing it has more surface area than a large BGE, and fits 2 butts easily. I really liked the people at RecTec, and they were very helpful with my questions. Though the danger of buying in-store is that you’re likely to come home with more accessories! I still like the GMG but it’s hard to argue with the RecTec base of operations being down the street if I have issues. My wife was a bit surprised by the style. It’s definitely unique, but I’m more concerned about performance.

Thanks all for the help!

DXvONXk.jpg

IK82OdK.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky