Cast Iron Electrolysis Rust Removal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Has anyone tried this with the "pre-seasoned" cast iron? I got a new pan and the coating is already starting to show bare metal in a few spots after a couple uses and cleaning (hot water and a dish rag, no soap or abrasives).
I'm going to try it, just wondering if anyone has yet.
My goal is to get all the pre-season stuff off and have bare metal.
I'll post my results.
Thanks,
Q

[edit] Yes, it's working, I can see spots of bare metal forming all over where the bubbles are forming.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Peavley sez<<<<, but I figured it was my newer "SMART" charger giving me trouble because it kept giving me a fault reading.  >>>

Most of the modern smart chargers will not work if there is not a minimun amount of voltage present. If a battery  is dead ya have to charge it off off a good battery for awile to get enough juice for the smart charger to work.

Craig

Last edited:
What I've had success with in the brand-new cast iron department is to immediately chuck it into a sinkful of hot, soapy water (yes, it seems counter-intuitive). Scrub it down really well with a gentle abraisive, like the green side of a fake sponge, rinse it, dry it,  smear on a little crisco and put it in my oven on the highest setting until all the oil smokes off, then smear on more, and repeat the last part at least three times, then let them cool on the stovetop for about 12 hours so things can "set" and you'll have a bulletproof season, just keep it clean, and do a gentle 1-coat reseason after every use.

Good luck!

Has anyone tried this with the "pre-seasoned" cast iron? I got a new pan and the coating is already starting to show bare metal in a few spots after a couple uses and cleaning (hot water and a dish rag, no soap or abrasives).
I'm going to try it, just wondering if anyone has yet.
My goal is to get all the pre-season stuff off and have bare metal.
I'll post my results.
Thanks,
Q

[edit] Yes, it's working, I can see spots of bare metal forming all over where the bubbles are forming.
yahoo.gif

I have a "Witchs Brew" pot.  It is very large.  I am only interested in cleaning the inside.  If I set it on an old tire keeping it up off of the ground and I out the negative connection to the pot itself and connect the positive connection to the donate object would it clean the inside?

Dutch,

Just wanted to say thank you for the post. I will be doing this in the next few days and I can  get 100+ dollar DO's for about 15 to 20. Amazing write up and tips. 

Thank you!! 
77.gif

Doug

Weather permitting I will be doing this to the rusty lid bands for the CasaQ. I've had everything ready to go, but the weather hasn't worked with my schedule!

Dirt....vinegar...plain white vinegar will work for that too.

Just Saying!

Kat
But that's not as fun as playing with electricity, water and potentially flammable gasses!! I've tried the vinegar method before and I don't think it'd have enough ooohmmmppphhh to get 44 years of coastal rust off!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky