Cast Iron Chicken Cacciatore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Still have plenty of $0.99 / lbs thighs to use up so decided to do some cacciatore’ish type meal with a Putanesca and meat sauce flair. Total wing it today no recipe. 1 1/2 lbs bulk Italian sausage browned crumbled and set aside.
3C51C597-1217-42BB-9992-BBD9B163C9CD.jpeg
About 6 lbs of chicken thighs seasoned with salt and Italian seasoning.
DC729985-725C-4303-9D52-DA1DBEB3F260.jpeg
Browning a bit in the sausage grease skin side down. These went in the oven on a pan for 20 minutes @ 400F while I worked on the sauce
6997AF47-E682-435E-AF08-8414DCA3C2D6.jpeg
Sweet onions and peppers into the pan to sauté along with plenty of minced garlic
C7C5AA8B-CD90-4E1C-A530-6B035E4B97D2.jpeg
Once cooked down time to add the mushrooms
D412873B-75FB-4B20-A9A9-E2D3F02FB7D7.jpeg
Sausage back into the mix
AD18D6B5-3912-4ADB-9565-1A0A9875F79D.jpeg
Couple cans each of tomato purée and diced tomatoes, small can of tomato paste. Plenty of Italian seasoning, salt and some powdered garlic.
43144641-5A0A-4DB6-A434-229F8BD753BE.jpeg
Green olives and capers. Man I love capers.
E9EF1066-772F-4D7D-916C-9E02D9025EE6.jpeg
Stirred up and simmered for a few minutes then added in the chicken. Into the oven for about 25 -30 minutes at 350F.
EC9DE841-F680-4502-BB03-BED96E87DD89.jpeg
Out of the oven
CF0444A9-3393-4451-8C51-78B230FD8502.jpeg
AE36C6D9-EF4D-46A4-A6B3-DC7EC5F86F75.jpeg
Made up a few to go dishes for my daughter and buddy with regular pasta. Here is one plated up for home on keto konjac spaghetti.
AE15BF75-3FB4-4770-8B05-97D0E7C78EF2.jpeg
Thanks for looking!

Wow! Top notch meal! I’ve never cooked cacciatore, looks beautiful and has to be delicious! Great work, awesome photos! Thank you for the inspiration!

Now that a great dish to make on bad weather day! Looks delish. We had ice and sleet yesterday and more to come. Stuck at home for a while and these would be a great dish to make.

Man that looks good. My daughter got me a new cast iron skillet this weekend, I may just have to break it in.

Wow that looks delicious Jeff! Much better than any cacciatore I’ve seen. I’m a big caper fan too, there’s always a jar sitting in my fridge.

Looks darn good for "off the cuff"!
I'll have to downsize it, but I think I'll give this a try. I already have all the ingredients except capers, which I have to admit I've never had. I can use some of my canned tomatoes from '21 that I need to use up. I'm getting the hang of the pasta machine and this gives me an excuse to make Italian bread :-)
Another bookmark.....

Man Jeff that looks so damn good. I'm a huge caper fan as well
Thanks Jake! Yep capers are awesome , love them on Cesar salads too.
Very very nice, I could eat that any day at all.

Well done again Jeff.

And of coarse nice pictorial also,

David
Thank you David
Wow! Top notch meal! I’ve never cooked cacciatore, looks beautiful and has to be delicious! Great work, awesome photos! Thank you for the inspiration!
Thanks Jed, it’s a nice meal to essentially do one dish cook on
Now that a great dish to make on bad weather day! Looks delish. We had ice and sleet yesterday and more to come. Stuck at home for a while and these would be a great dish to make.
Thanks Brian, no ice or sleet but very cold here today at 10F
Man, I could eat a big plate of that! Very nice Jeff!
Thanks Steve
Nice work again Jeff .
Thanks Rich
Man that looks good. My daughter got me a new cast iron skillet this weekend, I may just have to break it in.
Thanks , sounds like a good plan
Wow that looks delicious Jeff! Much better than any cacciatore I’ve seen. I’m a big caper fan too, there’s always a jar sitting in my fridge.
Thanks Joe, same here. I have a couple jars of something called caper berries too. Huge and similar flavor.
Looks darn good for "off the cuff"!
I'll have to downsize it, but I think I'll give this a try. I already have all the ingredients except capers, which I have to admit I've never had. I can use some of my canned tomatoes from '21 that I need to use up. I'm getting the hang of the pasta machine and this gives me an excuse to make Italian bread :-)
Another bookmark.....
If you like salty brine flavor like olives with a bit more bite you have to try capers. Another great dish for chicken involves lemon and caper
Nice work there Jeff, I can really go for that dish, good Job! RAY
Thanks Ray!

Wow Jeff, another absolutely spectacular meal and stunning presentation. I'd eat myself sick with that meal because there would be no stopping me. My only question: why is this not on the carousel? It is more than worthy, that's for sure.
I already have all the ingredients except capers
Capers add a wonderful flavor to food but be careful. They can get pretty salty, at least the ones I have in the fridge can. I tend to chop them up very small so as not to get a huge salt blast biting into one that's whole.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Wow Jeff, another absolutely spectacular meal and stunning presentation. I'd eat myself sick with that meal because there would be no stopping me. My only question: why is this not on the carousel? It is more than worthy, that's for sure.

Capers add a wonderful flavor to food but be careful. They can get pretty salty, at least the ones I have in the fridge can. I tend to chop them up very small so as not to get a huge salt blast biting into one that's whole.

Robert
With the Mrs' low sodium diet I'll probably just pass on the capers....

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky