Cassoulet Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi there and welcome Sue!

That is fantastic!!!!!
I love cassoulets and my favorite way to eat rabbit is done this way wen I find it.

I second the fact that you should get an account so you can join in on the fun with us all here and we can get more of your great posts :)
Thanks for the like. Hmm, rabbit in Cassoulet. Sounds very interesting. We have lots of Peter Cottontails running around in our backyard. But, we would have to fight the owls for them. And, our neighbors might frown on it if we try to take out the bunnies.

Well Sue, I went and did it...made the Cassoulet. Yesterday was actually Soup Making Saturday At Casa TX. We tend to eat a lot of soups around here, me more so in the cooler months but Tracy all year. I keep a nice stock of different soups in the freezer so she will have them for her lunches at work during the week. The freezer was getting low so I just dedicated time yesterday to replenish the stock. I only have pics of three because the 4th is just a creamy potato soup that's all white. It tastes really good but has no photographic qualities at all.

Here is the Cassoulet. Pic is a bit blurry but it looks pretty similar to yours
001.jpg

This is a veggie beef soup that both of us just love!! Very simple but very good.
006.jpg

This is an adaptation of a few different soups I've put together. All three were very similar with just slight differences. I saw no reason to have three recipes that were so close so I combined them into one recipe and it was spectacular!! It's potato, broccoli, bacon, and cheddar
005.jpg

I had to make a couple changes to the Cassoulet. You used smoked pork and Kielbasa made with turkey. I used smoked turkey and Kielbasa made with pork. Seemed like a fair trade-off :emoji_laughing: It was what I had on hand and it did sort of make sense to me. Now...the Cassoulet is really, really good. It has a forward herbaceous flavor that is well balanced and a bit complex. It melds very well with the flavors of the meat and broth. Oh...that's another change I had to make. Tracy can't do anything Chicken so I used vegetable broth instead of chicken. This one has been printed and added to the Big Black Book to make again.

Thanks so much for sharing!!
Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Oh...one other change I made. Tracy didn't have a bottle of white wine that was opened so I used red wine instead. You'll see a bit of a color difference between yours and mine due to this.

Robert

Well Sue, I went and did it...made the Cassoulet. Yesterday was actually Soup Making Saturday At Casa TX. We tend to eat a lot of soups around here, me more so in the cooler months but Tracy all year. I keep a nice stock of different soups in the freezer so she will have them for her lunches at work during the week. The freezer was getting low so I just dedicated time yesterday to replenish the stock. I only have pics of three because the 4th is just a creamy potato soup that's all white. It tastes really good but has no photographic qualities at all.

Here is the Cassoulet. Pic is a bit blurry but it looks pretty similar to yours
View attachment 428013

This is a veggie beef soup that both of us just love!! Very simple but very good.
View attachment 428014

This is an adaptation of a few different soups I've put together. All three were very similar with just slight differences. I saw no reason to have three recipes that were so close so I combined them into one recipe and it was spectacular!! It's potato, broccoli, bacon, and cheddar
View attachment 428015

I had to make a couple changes to the Cassoulet. You used smoked pork and Kielbasa made with turkey. I used smoked turkey and Kielbasa made with pork. Seemed like a fair trade-off :emoji_laughing: It was what I had on hand and it did sort of make sense to me. Now...the Cassoulet is really, really good. It has a forward herbaceous flavor that is well balanced and a bit complex. It melds very well with the flavors of the meat and broth. Oh...that's another change I had to make. Tracy can't do anything Chicken so I used vegetable broth instead of chicken. This one has been printed and added to the Big Black Book to make again.

Thanks so much for sharing!!
Robert
Robert,
This is a combined John/Sue reply...great looking soups. Big LIKE! Very clever and creative! We would love the recipe for the potato, broccoli, bacon, and cheddar one. So glad you like the Cassoulet.

No problem. It's the least I can do after you shared the Cassoulet :emoji_wink:

Here ya go:
½ Onion chopped
¼ lb butter
¼ Cup AP flour
1 Cup heavy cream
4 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 Cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
1 large Russet potato cubed small
½ Cup match stick cut carrots
2 Stalks celery thinly sliced
½ Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Pound sliced bacon cooked and crumbled*
1 t Salt**
2 t Black pepper
1 T Parsley

-In a large pot or Dutch oven cook bacon until slightly crispy, remove from pot and set aside. Reserve 2 T bacon grease and discard the rest
-Add butter to bacon grease and melt, then add onions
-Saute onions on medium heat till translucent, about 5 minutes
-Add flour to butter and onions. Mix thoroughly
-Note: reserve some bacon for garnish if desired
-Add cream, broth, potatoes, bacon, and all dry spices. Simmer stirring regularly until base starts to thicken
-Add veggies and simmer on low until veggies are softened but not over cooked.
-Add cheese just before serving and allow to melt throughout the soup
-Ladle into bowl and top with bacon crumbles if desired.

*Can be omitted
**Recommend adding if bacon is omitted

Tracy said the best soup ever!! Hope you enjoy it.
Robert

Last edited:
OOPS!! I realized that I'd forgotten to note when to put the bacon in. Just went back and edited the recipe. Being that this is a combination of 3 different recipes, I'm not surprised that I missed a step putting them together. Sorry about that....

Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky