casing sticking on spout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beggar

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
picayune,ms.
when we stuff, the casing is sticking on the stuffing tube. we dribble water on the casing as we stuff to help keep it moist but it only helps some.we also slide the casing close to the end of the tube to help it slide off. we grind and stuff at the same time now after we got a LEM grinder and stuffer but we had the same problem when we used a stuffer alone. we have used different brands of casing. we get casing now from a butcher and it comes on a plastic holder that you slide on the tube and pull it off to load the casing.
we wash the salt off and soak in warm water with a couple ounces of vinegar while we get things ready so the first one get about 30 mins and the last a couple hours. they all work the same. we also change from a plastic tube to a stainless tube but it made not difference. Any advice appreciated.

well I forgot to mention that we do spray with a food grade lubricate and we have been using the tube that is actually the size under for the sausage and we just hold back ever so gently and the casing fills out good. Thank you guys for replying

You don't say what your making or any sizes that you use. Maybe your tube is too big for the size casings you're using and they're stretched on there too tight.
That's a good thought . I tend to go a size down with the tube . It picks the casing up off the tube as I stuff . I also store them wet , so that helps also .
20190713_144511.jpg
Last batch I did was hanging up ( plastic tube ) I found a small burr on the surface , removed it . No trouble after that .

B, You need to soak those casings for days as Tropics said. Also flush the casing out and leave lots of water inside the casing when sliding on the stuffing tube.

B, You need to soak those casings for days as Tropics said. Also flush the casing out and leave lots of water inside the casing when sliding on the stuffing tube.

This is a bigger help than you may think. I use the tubed casings at work and they never seem to get properly soaked. Sometimes they jam so many in the soak bucket, the water doesn't get to the full surface. That coupled with one Meat Cutter who demands they be done with cold water ONLY !! Now in the meat room, it's about 36 degrees, so you can imagine how cold the rinse is. Sometimes when I have trouble with sticking I get pissed and take the casings off the tube and run water thru them, being careful not to get them knotted. Problem solved. Takes longer but the end product is worth it. Sausages aren't stuffed so full they burst when you try to link them or even while you stuff.

Reactions: crazymoon
I always put a little olive oil or any type of cooking oil on the horn. Never had a problem.

Store them like this . They will be soft , pliable and always ready to use . Slide right on , slide right off , no blow outs . I do sheep casings the same way . No issues there either .

Reactions: pc farmer
Store them like this . They will be soft , pliable and always ready to use . Slide right on , slide right off , no blow outs . I do sheep casings the same way . No issues there either .

Yes this problem is solved by the thread chop here posted for you. I had the same issues until I followed that threads advice. Now I don't have an issue with hog casings. I still don't care to mess with sheep casings though I LOVE how the sausage comes out with the sheep casings.

Reactions: chopsaw
I would also try to stay away from casings packed in dry salt. I prefer casings packed in a salt solution. The casings packed in dry salt are hard to get soft. Its not worth time and effort.
butcher and packer, sausage maker, Syracuse casings are a few places to get quality casings.
Oh and be careful. adding too much vinegar will make the casings rubbery and make sticking to the tube worse.... I would actually stay away from the vinegar. Only add 1 cap full when storing away in the fridge...... its used to keep any off odors your casings might acquire.

Boykjo

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky