Casing Care

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

palladini

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Hi All, made sausage yesterday and in our travels, we picked up some salted pork intestines.  I have two questions.

1) when we some left, best way to store them?

1A) if I need to add salt, can I add Kosher Salt?

2) we got 4 out, washed the salt off and set them in water.  We only used 3 of them, what to do with the one we did not use?  This casing is currently sitting in water in my fridge.

Hi All, made sausage yesterday and in our travels, we picked up some salted pork intestines.  I have two questions.

1) when we some left, best way to store them?

1A) if I need to add salt, can I add Kosher Salt?

2) we got 4 out, washed the salt off and set them in water.  We only used 3 of them, what to do with the one we did not use?  This casing is currently sitting in water in my fridge.
Best way to keep them is to put them in a heavy salt water and in the refrigerator. Kosher salt is good. There getting to be pricy so saving any left overs is a good thinking.

Best way to keep them is to put them in a heavy salt water and in the refrigerator. Kosher salt is good. There getting to be pricy so saving any left overs is a good thinking.
I have taken it out of the water, put it in a ziplock bag, added and changed the copious amount of Kosher Salt twice now.  The rest were all put back in the plastic container they came in, this resembles a clear plastic container that you would get a macaroni salad in from a deli.  Anyway, that and it's contents went back into my beer fridge, with the exception, I don't drink beer, so calling it a beer fridge is wrong.

I think we paid $7.95 for enough to stuff 100 lbs of meat.  This came from our local meat/butcher/grocery store.

In a good heavy salt brine, they will last a long time in the fridge.

I have bought some that were just salted.  I always change that to a heavy brine.

When I take some out of the brine, I rinse, soak in water with a little vinegar, and rinse again.

Any leftovers I have soaked  with water and  vinegar added, I pitch. Probably could save them, but why take the chance?

Those in the salt brine will be gone long before they can ever go bad.

Good luck.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky