Care And Feeding of a 5lb Grizzly Stuffer -15 Pics QView -Good for Rookies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Where I get my casing and what I show are two differrent things...

I prefer a "brine packed" casing. They don't need to be soaked, only rinsed, and for an ADD chickie like me, that's what I need.  I get my brines "under-the-table" from a local provider. I have not looked much online for them :(

Most folks can get salt packed hug casings like what you see in my picture from just about any mom-and-pop store and they will run you about $5 for 50 feet

You can order similar stuff online from here:

http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Home-Pak-Natural-Hog-Casings--715960.uts.shtml  

Cabela's also carried my Summer Sausage casings...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...roducts&Ntt=sausage+casing&Ntt=sausage+casing  

Hope this helps?  (and if you want what I get? Shoot me a PM and I'll just send ya some!)
One more thing Ms. Princess - where do you get your casings, what kind do you prefer and where to get food grade lubricant?

You got what I need girl! LOL! I really don't know what to buy because I've never used them before. I live in a small town with zero chance of scoring any casings. Bull testicles, yea, sheep casings, I don't think so. I don't mind ordering online if I knew what to try first. Also, can you tell me how Grizzly ships? I can't find it on their website and I am ready to place my order. I don't have a mailbox at my house, so if they ship USPS then I need to give my p.o. box, but if it is UPS or FedEx then I will give my street address. For the love of gawd I am appearing to be a drama queen tonight.

You got what I need girl! LOL! I really don't know what to buy because I've never used them before. I live in a small town with zero chance of scoring any casings. Bull testicles, yea, sheep casings, I don't think so. I don't mind ordering online if I knew what to try first. Also, can you tell me how Grizzly ships? I can't find it on their website and I am ready to place my order. I don't have a mailbox at my house, so if they ship USPS then I need to give my p.o. box, but if it is UPS or FedEx then I will give my street address. For the love of gawd I am appearing to be a drama queen tonight.
http://www.grizzly.com/qa_questions.aspx#02

Here is a link to their shipping page.

Thanks Paul! But it is still kinda iffy to me. So I will give them a call in the morning. I have ordered things using my p.o. box and they get returned, jeezus you would think they would know if they shipped that way or not. Just sayin.

I am pretty sure when I bought mine about this time last year they shipped it UPS but don't hold me to that...

As always... another great post!!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thank you, Bear. :)  I am SO glad you find them helpful (and you know I could not resist the 'skinless' dig!! LOL)  FYI for you... Care adn Feeding of a Grinder is up next!!

Side note: Do we make our own iki? Or do the mods do it for us?

I think either you or a Mod.

I read it one time, and it said something about others being able to make changes on it. I thought, "Why should I make a Wiki, if others are going to make changes on it?"

So I forgot about it. I might have misunderstood that, but I never went back. I just started to stick my "Step by steps" in my signature.

Bear

Yeah... I got my stuffer from Santa last year (and he can't remember how it was shipped!!)  Before my dad's area went E911, they would just use BOTH lines on an address form, one for PO and one for street and let the shipper figure it out!! LOL...

Don't know if you got your answer on shipping yet or not, BUT since I happen to live in a town that has one of three Grizzly distribution and showroom centers (yes, it is nice)  I went over and asked.  Their response is to request UPS shipping.  They're use to people having only P.O. boxes and you get the benefit of UPS tracking.  And of course, I left with some items, of course, including a new 4th edition of Kutas. 

Thanks Dave! I did give them a call this morning and I will soon be the owner of the 5 lb. Grizzly Stuffer. I ordered those brushes too that Princess recommended. I also ordered this http://www.sausagemaker.com/63209stainlesssteeltrayandholderfor32meatgrinder.aspx   I realize this pic is just of the tray, but I also ordered the stainless steel 32 grinder. I have a small hand grinder, I call it my "baby diaper" grinder. So, I thought it was time for me to put on my big girl panties and get to doing some sausage making. I also went to Amazon and bought 4 books.

Shipping estimate for these items: October 12, 2010
 [size=-1]1[/size][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing"
Michael Ruhlman; Hardcover; $23.10

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC [/size][/font]
 [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]1[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"The Great Book of Chocolate"
David Lebovitz; Paperback; $11.55

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]1[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design"
Stanley Marianski; Paperback; $17.95

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]1[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]"TSM Products "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas"
Hardcover; $29.99[/size][/font]

I am very much in to chocolate making so I had to have that book. Just sayin'.

And then I went to Sam's club to stock up on baking supplies, and then to my local grocery store who had Boston Butts on sale for .99 a pound and bought 100 lbs.

And then to Lowes to pick out carpet samples.

What a fun day shopping. I'm very much a girl when it comes to this kind of shopping, clothes? No way. Foodie stuff, oh yea.

I still haven't decided on what to buy in the way of casings. I might wait to read up a bit first.

Last edited:
Wow Squirrel !
eek.gif

You went nuts.

Amazing what you can do when you don't need the "wife's" permission!

Another round of sausage on the Squirrel, tarbender---hickup!!

Bear

Last edited:
Attention in the Mall - we have a crazy Squirrel on the loose. Last spotted in Lowes but may have moved on to a cooking store be on the lookout as she is armed and dangerous and her credit card may be glowing red
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hehehe. Yea, I'm glad I don't have to ask permission, but sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be a nice trade off for someone to have fun with. Oh well, I am too old and set in my ways! I figured what the heck, it's just money and why should I leave it all to the kids when they are only gonna blow it. I may as well do that for them! LOL! Hey man, I've got hobbies to attend to! It's this kinda stuff that get's me out of bed in the morning and as crazy as it sounds sometimes I can't sleep because I wonder what I'm gonna cook next. Maybe I need counseling, or a vertical smoker, yea, that will do it.

Hehehe. Yea, I'm glad I don't have to ask permission, but sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be a nice trade off for someone to have fun with. Oh well, I am too old and set in my ways! I figured what the heck, it's just money and why should I leave it all to the kids when they are only gonna blow it. I may as well do that for them! LOL! Hey man, I've got hobbies to attend to! It's this kinda stuff that get's me out of bed in the morning and as crazy as it sounds sometimes I can't sleep because I wonder what I'm gonna cook next. Maybe I need counseling, or a vertical smoker, yea, that will do it.
I used to be a "Vertical Smoker", but I quit after 46 years, besides I'm married ( nearly 42 years). 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Bear

Great post Princess!! You just sold a stuffer. I Am on the market for a grinder since I deer hunt and always borrow a buddies, but it's good to know that separate stuffer is really worth it. My 2 year old son is allergic to everything, so I've been researching different ways to make stuff that he can actually eat. He pretty much can't have anything processed, so we need to begin to do a lot of this stuff at home (not that I mind
icon_smile.gif
) but we have done everything we can with what we have. Time for more toys I guess. LOL

We need to make this a wiki so that it will not be lost. it will be a great tool for those just getting into sausage stuffing.

I looked for this post in the wiki's and couldn't find it - is it not a wiki yet?   Thanks for helping me choose between the grizzly and the kitchener/northern, Princess!

Thanks, Barbe!!  I don't know that any of my tutorials have ever been made into Wikis. Is that something I do? Or that the forum does?
I looked for this post in the wiki's and couldn't find it - is it not a wiki yet?   Thanks for helping me choose between the grizzly and the kitchener/northern, Princess!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky