Canned fire roasted tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
We do our tomato canning out doors and wash the mess with a garden hose when done. Just the canned jars go back in the house.
0ADF1CDC-F67F-4C97-B403-731EDF4981F8.jpeg

09EE6184-3004-4397-9D93-2E78B4A8BD0B.jpeg

7776A85F-97CC-4E69-97AB-4592825F6DBB.jpeg

B7DB62B4-1968-4467-B3E0-42A66F6104AE.jpeg

Looks like a fine way to spend a beautiful day in Colorado and a nice batch of canned tomatoes!
Is the roasting taking place of the blanching? Is there a noticeable difference in flavor?
Also curious about your propane cooker set-up. What's going on under those lids?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I use the same stove for water bath and pressure canning, and for sterilizing my jars for my "refrigerator" pickles and veggies. What are those upside down pots used for?

Looks like a family affair. And some good looking canned 'maters.
Jim
Thank you Jim. Yes I keep them all involved. I’ll post a pic of them kids from a ways back. They know how to survive.
Looks good, yep much easier to do outside
Thanks Jim, yes we started doing this years ago when we used to put up 100# or so of maters. Made momma much happier.
Looks like a fine way to spend a beautiful day in Colorado and a nice batch of canned tomatoes!
Is the roasting taking place of the blanching? Is there a noticeable difference in flavor?
Also curious about your propane cooker set-up. What's going on under those lids?
The roasting is in place of the blanching. The skins just burn off once you cook the tomatoes a bit. Yes the flavor is very much better than water blanching. The process goes much faster as well, I can roast about 25# of tomatoes at a time, then I burn them with a weed burner.

I use the same stove for water bath and pressure canning, and for sterilizing my jars for my "refrigerator" pickles and veggies. What are those upside down pots used for?
The upside down pots are steam canners. They hold 8 pint jars at a time.

The upside down pots are steam canners. They hold 8 pint jars at a time.
I've only read about that method. I'm a 4th generation canner (mostly meats, broth and fish) but when I water bath pickles I must have 4 gallons of water in the pot. This seems much more efficient.

I've only read about that method. I'm a 4th generation canner (mostly meats, broth and fish) but when I water bath pickles I must have 4 gallons of water in the pot. This seems much more efficient.
Steam canning is a game changer vs water bath. I never knew about this method until maybe 20 years ago,tried it and bought two units. We still have the water baths, but never use them, the pressure canner is irreplaceable for its use.

I'm jealous! Your photos were so peaceful and inspiring. Guess Mrs. Wurtz & I need to get busy! The weather here in SC is really nice for outdoor canning and cooking. 🍻
John
Yes sir, it does the soul much good. Fall is fabulous!

Very Nice and big like

Canning the tomatoes is always an outdoor event for my household.
I have the Outdoor Cookers from 1994 (now Camp Chef) 2 burner stove.

I'm hoping to get some canned this year. Lots of green but few ripened. Summer was not kind due to early heat and no rain.

I have never tried smoke roasting before canning as wifey is not a big smoke fan.

I used to smoke and dehydrate out a batch of maters in the Big Chief.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky