Canned beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
2469B085-6AAD-48FE-8D6B-CC6E58D3A591.jpeg
Picked 15# of green & 15# of yellow beans. Made 24 1# quarts. Saves freezer room & handy for a quick meal.

I'm so jealous. You've done an outstanding job!

I've had a ridiculously difficult time trying to grow beans this year. First real Summer garden in Central Texas and I've had a devil of a time keeping them alive. The ones I planted in the Spring died because of the heat in May. I planted again in July, August and September and have poured a stupid amount of water on them over the past four months (we've had a total of 3/4" of rain in that period). With the temps down in the 80s and 90s for the next couple of weeks, I'm praying they will finally set and give me enough to actually can. I have a whole shelf empty and ready for them!

Thanks GreytQ! Had the opposite here. To much rain not enough sun in the spring. Beans were bad before filling out. Seem to have better luck with fall planting the last few years. Plus less bugs. Good luck with new crop.

Isn't that the best? 30 quarts keeps us till planting time. My grandmother would ALWAYS put a slice of bacon in every quart. Freezing is another option for working folks. Buzzy,I have had better luck in fall the last couple yrs. between deer, rabbits. Fall is wetter than usual anymore.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky