Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well you inspired me, start some going in the fridge today.  Following the formula it will be 11 days before I can smoke it.  However it will get a couple of extra as I am will be busy when it is ready to smoke.  does just rinsing remove enough of the extra salt usually?  If it is to salty for a persons taste do you just soak it in cold water?

Bear got a lot of us stirred up, waiting on my scales and other stuff should be here this week then I'll go get a pork loin for my CB

Gary

I'm down  to a few slices from the batch I did before Christmas. Time to watch the grocery ads for another pork sale! Bear has started a lot of us down a road that seems to have no turn around on it??

Well you inspired me, start some going in the fridge today.  Following the formula it will be 11 days before I can smoke it.  However it will get a couple of extra as I am will be busy when it is ready to smoke.  does just rinsing remove enough of the extra salt usually?  If it is to salty for a persons taste do you just soak it in cold water?
That's Great----Glad you're jumping in on this stuff.

Some say you don't have to do a Salt-fry Test, but I figure you don't have to look both ways before crossing the street either.

I have done a Salt-fry test after curing everything I have ever cured, and I only had one that came up too salty. I used Hi-Mountain Cure & Seasoning on a Butt for BBB, and I tested a couple slices and it was too salty. I soaked it for 2.5 hours, changing the cold water every half hour, until it wasn't too salty any more. I've been using Tender Quick ever since & I have never had one too salty, but I still test it every time!!

A few extra days won't hurt, but do the test just to make sure. The test pieces are fun to eat too!!

Bear

Bear got a lot of us stirred up, waiting on my scales and other stuff should be here this week then I'll go get a pork loin for my CB

Gary
You'll be having even more fun soon!!!

Bear

I'm down  to a few slices from the batch I did before Christmas. Time to watch the grocery ads for another pork sale! Bear has started a lot of us down a road that seems to have no turn around on it??
Better get on it Dick!!

Pork Loin seems to be the only meat around here that we get really good prices. Often under $2. My last 2 batches I paid $1.59 and $1.89. (Both New Year's weeks)

Bear

Last edited:
Gotta  make a run to Sam's to check prices

Gary

Going to do belly with your rub recipe. If I was doing with maple sugar, would it be same per pound as brown sugar? Looks great!
drool.gif

Going to do belly with your rub recipe. If I was doing with maple sugar, would it be same per pound as brown sugar? Looks great!
drool.gif
Great. Gonna do it. Pick up case of bellies tomorrow. 3.19 per pound on case. 3rd year and everybody that's tasted my bacon luvs it.(Pops brine and commercial dry rub). Himhaw around on paying for a 12 pounder and I do it for them. Going to just vacuum seal it and sell it per pound. Yheir loss. Figure about 5$ per pound. Figured around 1.50 for me to cure and smoke and make another thirty cents. Luv ypur recipes.

Great. Gonna do it. Pick up case of bellies tomorrow. 3.19 per pound on case. 3rd year and everybody that's tasted my bacon luvs it.(Pops brine and commercial dry rub). Himhaw around on paying for a 12 pounder and I do it for them. Going to just vacuum seal it and sell it per pound. Yheir loss. Figure about 5$ per pound. Figured around 1.50 for me to cure and smoke and make another thirty cents. Luv ypur recipes.
That's Great!!!

Give me a PM if you need any help, and if you don't need help give me a PM when you post it, so I don't miss it. I hate to miss Great posts!!

Bear

That's Great!!!

Give me a PM if you need any help, and if you don't need help give me a PM when you post it, so I don't miss it. I hate to miss Great posts!!

Bear
Me too    I'm in

Gary

You and many others have been great on subjects.So scared of making someone sick on curing. Searched and searched and read many sights. Well all coincide. Will post pics. Probably get bellies Friday though. Frozen. Set out Sunday to start thawing. Come in frozen. Curing to go with schedule as we all do.

You and many others have been great on subjects.So scared of making someone sick on curing. Searched and searched and read many sights. Well all coincide. Will post pics. Probably get bellies Friday though. Frozen. Set out Sunday to start thawing. Come in frozen. Curing to go with schedule as we all do.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Looks good we'll have to try it. Thanks for the info
You are very welcome!!

Bear

What is the difference between tender quick and cure #1? Good lookin bacon and an excellent write up!
points.gif
Thank You.

Cure #1 is a Cure that you use 1tsp per pound of meat.

Tender Quick is a product made by Morton Salt. It is used at the rate of 1TBS (1/2 ounce) per pound of whole meat, and 1/2 TBS (1/4 ounce) per pound of ground meat.

Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup]  Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup]  mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky