• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Canadian/Back Bacon using the smoker and sous vide

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
I was in dire need of another batch of bacon and made it a little different. Here's the main ingredient:
IMG_0545.JPG

I cut the loin into thirds and weighed each piece adding the appropriate amount of Mortons tender Quick and brown sugar.I follow this post by BearCarver *New------Canadian Bacon . I put each piece in a 2 gallon ziploc bag and flipped daily for ten days. For ease of remembering I keep the fatty side up one day and flip so all peices have the meaty side up the next day.
IMG_0567.JPG

After 10 days I sliced off a piece to test and it was bit too salty so I soaked the pieces for 30 minutes or so with a few water changes. The next test was perfect.

IMG_0568-001.JPG

I added CBP, onion powder and garlic powder and then dried on the smoker for 1.5 hours with no smoke at 120ish.I added apple chips and smoked for 2 hours at 140*
IMG_0570.JPG

I decided to finish in my sous vide tub as it was COLD outside and I wanted a definate end time.I did 4 hours at 140* after looking at Baldwins SV chart for time /temps.
IMG_0576.JPG

I put the bags in the fridge after cooling them off outside and let them sit for a few days. Sliced the bacon up this AM and am pleased with the results:
IMG_0577.JPG

I see my foot in the picture LOL, the bacon was very tasty and maybe more tender than by just smoking. The back fat had a creamier texture for sure.I packed it up and threw most in the freezer for future breakfasts. I liked the idea of having a set finish time by using the SV after smoking,also didn't have holes in my bacon from a temp probe :).Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_0578.JPG

pushok2018

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Great job on Canadian bacon, Ray! Looks perfect! In fact, I always cook Canadian bacon the same way you do. Cure it for 12-14 days in the fridge (dry cure), smoke it for about 4-5 hours at 150F and finishing it vac packed in the water bath at 150 - 155F till IT get to around 150F.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Beautiful bacon and a big like! If you put the probe in from the side, you won't get holes in your bacon!

Disco

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Beautiful bacon and a big like! If you put the probe in from the side, you won't get holes in your bacon!

Disco
D, I always copy you and Bear on the "back" bacon :) ! I always stick the probe in from the end because I know it's in the center,if I come in from the side I'm afraid I'll be too short or too far with the probe. :emoji_blush:

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
D, I always copy you and Bear on the "back" bacon :) ! I always stick the probe in from the end because I know it's in the center,if I come in from the side I'm afraid I'll be too short or too far with the probe. :emoji_blush:
Most probes only measure just above the tip but whatever makes you comfortable! You obviously have bacon making down pat!

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Most probes only measure just above the tip but whatever makes you comfortable! You obviously have bacon making down pat!
D, I meant that I strive to hit the center of the product being smoked and feel comfortable coming in from the end . :)

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Your Canadian Bacon looks really good Crazy. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.