Can you tell the difference between Cure #1 vs Cure #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Depends on what's being cured.
The presence of nitrate extends the presence of nitrite because the nitrate slowly converts to nitrite....nitrate isn't essential in short term dry-curing and isn't as important when dry curing whole muscles as it is in dry curing sausages.
In certain situations, lack of enough cure could be dangerous (botulinum growth in dry cured sausage, etc.) if the product doesn't dry enough before all the cure is spent.

A couple other points:

As Dan said, not all cure #2 is pink...that which Butcher & Packer sells is one that's white...last I knew.

There are at least 3 different cure #2 formulas here in the USofA.

6.25% nitrite and 1% nitrate. (SausageMaker)
5.67% nitrite and 3.63% nitrate. (Butcher & Packer)
6.25% nitrate and 4% nitrate. (Allied Kenco)

HTH

~Martin

Depends on what's being cured.
The presence of nitrate extends the presence of nitrite because the nitrate slowly converts to nitrite....nitrate isn't essential in short term dry-curing and isn't as important when dry curing whole muscles as it is in dry curing sausages.
In certain situations, lack of enough cure could be dangerous (botulinum growth in dry cured sausage, etc.) if the product doesn't dry enough before all the cure is spent.

A couple other points:

As Dan said, not all cure #2 is pink...that which Butcher & Packer sells is one that's white...last I knew.

There are at least 3 different cure #2 formulas here in the USofA.

6.25% nitrite and 1% nitrate. (SausageMaker)
5.67% nitrite and 3.63% nitrate. (Butcher & Packer)
6.25% nitrate and 4% nitrate. (Allied Kenco)

HTH

~Martin
This would be the reason why dry cured sausages are made with cure #2 instead of #1, right?  

Anyhow, to me it just doesn't make much sense to have both cure #1 and #2 look identical, in most cases.

Am I the only one to think, that having both Cure #1 and #2 look identical is STUPID? 

I mean it's bad enough by itself, that there's no way of me knowing the mixes have the correct ratios, I can't even tell one from the other.

I guess I'll just have to remain trusting? I know, I know.... I could make my own.

Last edited:
Let me guess.... some of you reading this thread think I'm fear mongering, right?

I'm not trying to.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who participated in this conversation!

Keep learning, smoking and enjoying!

Is that an intentional pun on that natural planet label for cure #2 or just poor quality control?? =)

Without the labels, I can't tell the difference..... Keep stuff labeled.... when in doubt, throw it out.... You even have to be "somewhat" knowledgeable to know that DQ curing salt is Cure #1.... Same with Prague Powder..... This hobby, curing meats, is not for the addled...

As far as the manufacturer/packager screwing up the 2..... I don't think that's possible...... NOW, if it did happen, used in the proper amounts and methods, it shouldn't be a problem...
Except in bacon.... FDA wants ZERO nitrates in bacon..... if you cure according to the FDA regs....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky