Can I slow These Butts Down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krooz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
South Carolina
G'morning folks,

Doing pulled pork for buddies coming into town this evening but may have gotten a little too eager to get things rolling. Last evening I put (2) 8lb butts to the smoke at 7:30 at 230°. During the night it looked like things were going too quickly and I thought I had knocked the temp down but I didn't.

Anyway, box temp is 220° now but the meat is at 160° and I know the stall is yet to come. Ideally I'd like to foil in the cooler around 2:30 or so, or wait until 4:30 (at airport in between). Planning to eat 7-ish. Can I lower temps to 200 for a couple of hours then bump back to 230 or ride it out and just foil in oven til chow time? Don't want to ruin my bark and don't think I want to foil in the cooler much past 6hrs.

Thanks for any advice!

oh - this is my first looong smoke with the AMZPS and it has worked like a champ!

Yes you can lower the temp down to 200 for a couple of hours. If they get done early I like to put them in a pan with a foil cover & into a 170 degree oven instead of a cooler. I think the bark doesn't get as soft that way. Ideally if you want to eat at 7:00, it would be great if they were at 205 around 6:00 & still in the smoker. A half hour rest on the counter top is all you need before pulling them. Don't forget the finishing sauce. 

Al

I would keep pushing through. The meat stays hot and ready for pulling for many hours in a cooler.  I've left a couple butts wrapped and in a cooler for 4-5 hours before pulling.....still turned out great.

Then again.....after reading what Al replied that makes a lot of sense too!

What part of SC are you in?  I could be there any time ;)

Last edited:
Thank you gentleman. I set it back to 200 for the next 2 hrs, then I'll go to 230 and let 'er roll. What shall be shall be!

The finishing sauce and mustard sauce are on the stove top now! Typical smoke for me, I get too anxious to start, stress over the times and temps and then 99.9% of the time things come out just fine - despite of myself, lol.

Thanks

T - I'm just outside of Charleston and it's HOT!

T - I'm just outside of Charleston and it's HOT!
At least you get a little ocean breeze (hopefully).  Here in Lexington we get all the heat and humidity, but no breeze.....arm pit of the state. I lived in Goose Creek/Hanahan for about 2 years (Navy Nuke School), so I'm pretty familiar with that area, so I feel your pain.

I'm on the Cooper River - too far inland to get the sea breeze other than in the afternoon to stimulate thunderstorms but can't even get that now days. This too shall pass!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky