Can an aluminum foil pan be used to brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I was going to use Pop's wet brine the brine . a pork belly for bacon. Any concerns in using a disposable aluminum foil pan?

Is there a concern if I cannot get the whole gallon of brine into the pan? The pork belly is 8.9 lbs

I avoid leaving anything in a metal pot or pan. Especially the amount of time belly will be in brine. That’s just me though. Will it fit in 2 gallon ziplock? Maybe have to cut in half first.

Reactions: JC in GB
I beleive the nitrites and aluminum don't play well together, I'd do like buzzy said and get it in a bag.

I was going to use Pop's wet brine the brine . a pork belly for bacon. Any concerns in using a disposable aluminum foil pan?

Is there a concern if I cannot get the whole gallon of brine into the pan? The pork belly is 8.9 lbs

I'm more of a dry brining type of guy, but I believe if your brine is made with the correct ingredient amounts then all that is needed is for the whole piece of meat to be and stay submerged.

Chris

I've always used food grade plastic, either as a bucket/pail or like a tupperware-type container. As long as it is submersed, it is fine.

I just use the Sterilite containers from Walmart. They make so many different ones you can always find the right size.
Their statement re the materials they use.
"Our products are made of polypropylene and polyethylene that are safe for food storage. No PVCs, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals, fungicides, Bishphenol A (BPAs), or antibacterial chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. "

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky