Camp Chef SmokePro DLX vs Pit Boss vertical smoker... Roughly same price

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yqyxzroh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
I'm looking to upgrade my electric smoker for a pellet smoker. My only two options (due to location & price) are the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX and the Pit Boss Pro 4 Series Vetical Smoker. The Camp Chef is about $400 and the PB is about $390.
Here are my thoughts on both models from doing some research but I want some other opinions too...

Camp Chef SmokePro DLX
  • PID controller, better at managing temps - something that my electric smoker gave me a huge headache on
  • Less cooking area, but I will never do more than 3-4 racks of ribs at once OR 2 pork butts OR 2 chickens...
  • Able to function as a grill, but from what I've read online, cast iron + gas stove seems to be a better option than most pellet grills. I am mainly looking for a smoker.
  • Great online reviews
Pit Boss Pro 4 Series Vertical Smoker
  • More cooking area, but I will never use more than 2 of the 5 racks.
  • Smoking racks are easier to clean compared to grilling grates.
  • I like the "shape" of vertical smokers more.
  • Dedicated smoker as opposed to grill/smoker hybrid. Maybe it'll be a "better" smoker than the Chef Camp?
  • Hit and miss online reviews
Can anyone give me their option and help me decide?

I only have experience with the PB, bought the son and his family 1 for Christmas a couple years ago, it works great so far, I dont think a pellet smoker is a step up from electric more of a sideways shift lol, you wont run low temps with a pellet smoker like you can with a electric , more things to quit with a pellet smoker, that said I have had great service with my PB Austin LX , the sons has a 4 year warranty where mine only had a year when I bought it, they expanded the warranty's after I bought mine, Its nice having room to do more stuff without over loading the racks. good luck lot of choices these days

I like the features on my CampChef, cooked with it many times and it just keeps going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky