Camp Chef Smoke Pro Wifi Upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coreymacc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Alberta,ca
This is a bit of a review for those interested and I definitely don't have any affiliation with Camp Chef,I had to pay full pop for this unit .I decided to bite the bullet and install one of the gen2 wifi control panels on my 5 ish year old Camp Chef Smoke Pro Lux 36, in the summer the temp holds pretty well, I can pretty much set the temp and go on about my business, not having to hover over it to raise or lower the temps. But lately the weather has been really good in Alberta for BBQ, but even at 1 or 2 degc ( 34f- 36f) the bbq wouldn't hold tight temps, I was always having to click the control up or down to keep the temp in the sweet spot. On short cooks no problems, but long cooks like Brisket and my day was pretty much shot standing by the grill. I have been building a shop on my property and I didn't want to waste a good weekend hovering over my BBQ, much rather put the time in down at the shop. So the wifi upgrade was the answer, all the reviews showed it was good so I spent the $325.00 (canadian funds:emoji_disappointed:) and got one. The install was pretty easy, had to dismantle a bit of the pellet box around the wiring but nothing bad, it was basically plug and play. they use the molex connectors and it was simple as the connectors are labed "A" "B" "C" and so forth. Plugged it all in, buttoned everything up and done, probably 10 min and 3 tie wraps. I had heard horror stories about the wifi connections being poor and dropping out, all I can say is once the new firmware installed in the controller the wifi connected and its been perfect. This has been a game changer, its completely PID controlled and has a separate smoke level so you can set temp separate from smoke. Now I get the grill going and I can head down to my shop and work for the day and keep an eye on things from my phone. The PID keeps the temp pretty much within+- 5 deg so there is no more having to keep tweeking things, and it keeps temp regardless of the outside temp so that issue is fixed also. The app is really easy, plus the new controller adds a second probe, it lets you graph temps on the grill and meat, cant say enough. Price was a little steap but it was worth it IMO I highly recommend any camp chef pellet grill owners here look into this, it is so amazing. I added a few pics to show the basic install and finished product.

Thanks for looking
Corey

old unit.jpg

old out 1.jpg

old out 2.jpg

Finishedwifi.jpg

Reactions: normanaj
I tried it back in 2020 and it would not work at all at my location. It wouldn't connect to my router at all. My choice was to add a wifi booster, move the router, or get a refund. I got the refund. Thinking maybe trying it again this summer when I get back into smoking stuff, like ribs, pulled pork, and salmon. :emoji_wink:

Sounds like since they did updates on everything it works. Mine had non of the issues i had read about.

Corey

I tried it back in 2020 and it would not work at all at my location. It wouldn't connect to my router at all. My choice was to add a wifi booster, move the router, or get a refund. I got the refund. Thinking maybe trying it again this summer when I get back into smoking stuff, like ribs, pulled pork, and salmon. :emoji_wink:
I had trouble with my brand new grill with the PID controller and the WIFI. A cheap WIFI extender (~$25) off Amazon cured the problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky