Calves liver?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
That's right! You don't like it? To bad!

[emoji]128512[/emoji] just kidding.. I'm starting project smoked liver today. I got fresh, not that frozen stuff. $8.99 a lb at my butcher.
My folks grew up on farms in Michigan. Germans and what not. The liver and onions with fried potatoes was always a once or twice a year dish my mom made here. I grew to enjoy liver. Sweet onions caramelized in butter and a crust on the potatoes also sliced thin and cooked in butter.. I prepare it for myself off and on and will order it at a diner if I see it on the menu.

So I'm gonna do this once "my way". I have a good bag of ice, and gonna put some in an extra tabletop kettle grill lid I have.. it's lined with foil and I have a rack inside to keep my liver slices elevated above the ice a bit.

Last edited:
The ice should help reduce the temps inside the ECB. I'm going to use just a dozen briquettes and some wood chunks. I will use water in the water pan this cook. To further reduce temps.

If I do this right, I can get about 2 hours smoke on the liver without cooking it to 130 .. 130 is about done for me.. it needs to be pink in center (after), it's been dredged in flour and hot seared in butter in a cast iron pan..

I will try this with ice and minimal heat in my ECB today because I don't have stuff to cold or indirect smoke now. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

You can smoke ice cream on ice.. why not liver? Lol [emoji]129296[/emoji]

I have a food processor. I can always puree it with the caramelized onions and make a cracker dip. Lol

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky