Calling all OKJ Longhorn owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawks05

Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Texas
Ok so I'm looking at creating my own baffle/tuner for my Longhorn smoker instead of buying one.

Is anyone who has their own willing to give measurements and size of holes and distance between holes to help me out.  Also what size thickness metal did you go with?

Hoping to find info one setups people have found to work the best.

I have tried searching and have found nothing that helps me.  So either there is little out there or I'm not very good a searching.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks,  I've seen that but the big thing is what size holes and spacing have people found to be best.

Last edited:
Another question I have is what did you use to clean/scrub the CC door before applying the Fireblack125 gasket?

Well I'm doing a test run with my fire basket and with everything closed (NOT THE EXHAUST) my probe a grate level close to the middle of the pit is reading 270 and it appears the temp wants to keep climbing.  Now I did fill the basket with hardwood lump coal which could be the problem.

Would I be better off putting a little coal in the basket and using mainly pecan mini logs?

At 325PM it has not hit 287

Last edited:
Lump burns pretty hot. That's probably why the high temps.
Myself I would use charcoal to get started and then add 2 splits. And let the smoker get settled in. Then add 1 or 2 preheated splits "preheat on lid of firebox" when the temp would start dropping.
You could also fire up with a weed burner torch only using some smaller splits.

Fire management and maintaining the temp you want will take practice.

Picture above is just getting smoker fired up.

Last edited:
Well I can do fire management as I have smoked brisket and ribs many times on it.  But I have since added the fire basket in hopes of giving myself a little free time in between tending the fire instead of checking on it every 15 mins. 

Plus I have since added gasket around the CC and sealed around the exhaust pipe.

Did some research and it appears the burn characteristics of pecan is low and slow.  so hopefully this will allow for better control with a little more free time in between checks.  I think after this weekend I may want to add some gasket material (not sure what to use because of the heat produced in the FC) in between the 2 halves of the FC. 

I just figure an offset is something you are going to feed splits every 30 mins. They are designed to move a lot of air. In my opinion they offer the best flavor.

I hope you achieve what you are trying to do. Good Luck!!

Here is a slightly different design I used on another offset smoker.  I cut strips of metal about 3.5 inches wide (and a few 2 inches wide).  They are supported on angle iron rails I screwed to each side of the cooking chamber.  I move these back and forth to control where the smoke and heat goes depending on my meat. Seems to work pretty well. The holes work too but are not adjustable.  

I used strips of lawn edging about 3/32" thick.  It was easy to cut with a hack saw. NOTE: it was  galvanized and I soaked the pieces in some muriatic acid from ACE hardware to dissolve the galvanizing off. Only took 30 seconds or so, but must be done outside for the fumes. 

These have worked for several years for me. They don't rust now with a buildup of grease on them. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky